The Poppy

morddwyd 10:34 06 Nov 10

A totally inconsequential post, so let's not get too worked up about it.

When I was in uniform the left breast was reserved for medals, even if you didn't have any, and the poppy, or anything similar which might be permitted, was worn on the right (same with armbands, only those denoting rank, not duties, should be on the right).

However, I was surprised to see the captain of the Ark wearing his poppy on the left yesterday.

Is this another peculiar navy only tradition, or was he mistaken?

john bunyan 10:57 06 Nov 10

In uniform, I thnk I remember wearing it either tucked behind a cap badge on a (green!!) beret. or with the wire wrapped arond a side button on a peaked cap. Maybe bingalau will comment!

john bunyan 10:59 06 Nov 10
  john bunyan 11:00 06 Nov 10
  morddwyd 12:13 06 Nov 10

That's the picture that prompted my query.

I note that there is a Senior Rate in the front rank with his poppy on the left, so it must be a navy thing - a Senior Rate would never get it wrong!

The cap is an informal convention, at least in the RAF, but for a parade the right breast is the only place permitted

Woolwell 12:42 06 Nov 10

Casting my mind back I think that the Navy has always worn it on the left lapel buttonhole. Ratings in square rig didn't have a button hole or appropriate place and wore it on left side of the cap.

Woolwell 12:46 06 Nov 10

ps There is nothing "peculiar" about the Royal Navy!

SimpleSimon1 12:50 06 Nov 10

>ps There is nothing "peculiar" about the Royal Navy!

Except they will insist on talking about their new "Aircraft Carriers" which won't have any aircraft :-)

Bingalau 13:19 06 Nov 10

john bunyan. I seem to remember the same rules that morddwydd mentions, namely that the left breast was for the wearing of Pusser's' medals only. The rules may have been different under QR's and AI's. I also seem to remember some senior officers wearing high ranking awards on their right breast. Besides that Jack has always been a law unto himself anyway.

Bingalau 13:23 06 Nov 10

I know I have put this on here before....

In Remembrance.

Why are they selling poppies Mummy?
Selling poppies in town today?
The poppies, child, are flowers of love
For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because, my child, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppy grows.

But why are the poppies so red Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?
Red is the colour of blood, my child.
The blood our soldiers shed.

The heart of the poppy is black Mummy,
Why does it have to be black?
Black, my child, is the colour of grief
For the men who never came back.

But why, Mummy, are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain.
My tears are the fears for you, my child.
For the world is forgetting again.

Woolwell 14:08 06 Nov 10

Again if I remember correctly - the left side was where UK medals were worn and the right side for certain other medals which had to be approved to be worn. I seem to remember that someone who had won a Russian medal in WW2 wore that on the right.

Poppy though on the left. Didn't the Royals wear it behind the cap/beret badge?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5