Pop ups on telly, what ever next!!

MidgetMan 08:55 08 Sep 04

We are all used to pop up's on web sites, indeed most of us go to great lengths to stop them, but has any sky viewer noticed lately how many of these annoying little box's are now becoming more common?. It used to be a little box saying press red for interactive news, but now I have noticed they are appearing with alarming regularity in loads of adverts, for instance the Toyota advert, press red button to order sales brochure etc. ok a quick flick of the backup button gets rid of it (as does closing the box on the internet).

What next pop up's on your phone???

Pesala 17:29 08 Sep 04

I already get ads on my phone.

If you want to know what's next click here

Dorsai 20:31 08 Sep 04

no sky

no pop ups

no problem.

Stuartli 17:30 09 Sep 04

Switch to Freeview - only "pop-ups" are small interactive logos.

You also only have to pay a single cost of about £50 upwards for the set top box - no subscriptions unless you opt for the (not worth it) TopUpTV. You'll also reduce your phone bills.

Not many people know that Sky accesses individual subscribers and transmits advertisements which it feels will be of most appeal to them.

Dorsai 18:31 09 Sep 04

Not many people know that Sky accesses individual subscribers and transmits advertisements which it feels will be of most appeal to them.

Neiter did i. But it's not a surprise to find that they do.

I can only guess that the best policy is to never respond to them. I used to get the odd 'junk' phone call. but as i never answered them, they have given up wasting their time listing to the ringing tone. the beuty off caller ID.

MidgetMan 21:00 09 Sep 04

"Not many people know that Sky accesses individual subscribers and transmits advertisements which it feels will be of most appeal to them."

Hmmm, why do I never get adverts for aged scotch whisky, fags and naked women then??? LOL

Stuartli 14:53 10 Sep 04

How do you think Sky can switch you in or out of the service or change your programmes subscription requirements?

It was the same with the BskyB square dish service - individual receivers could be switched on or off via the satellite.

Even the old ON/ITVDigital box software is programed on the Freeview service to allow you to take an interactive part in programmes such as Test the Nation and provide your individual score at the conclusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…