Pop-Ups on this site

Jackcoms 20:20 07 Jun 05

Am I the only one who's getting seriously annoyed at the pop-ups which have apparently started appearing on this site in the last few days?

I'm using XP SP2 with pop-up blocker enabled and, each time I move between Forums, the Information Bar tells me that a pop-up has been blocked. If I then click to see the pop-up, nothing happens or appears.

What are these pop-ups and why have they only started in the last few days?

I've used these Forums for several YEARS and only now are pop-ups appearing.

Perhaps FE would care to enlighten us.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:25 07 Jun 05

Pop-ups pay for this site as does all the advertising. Naturally, I am sure that the publishers will be interested in any other ideas to fund this site. Using avant browser I have no problems , it is free, a small download and IMHO, better than IE although it uses IE as a base....click here. It will calm your browsing.

G

ps. alweays worth clicking a few links to help the site.

Jackcoms 20:30 07 Jun 05

Whilst noting what you say about paying for the site, your response doesn't answer my last remark.

"I've used these Forums for several YEARS and only now are pop-ups appearing".

What's changed in the last week or so??

stalion 20:33 07 Jun 05

I believe Jackcoms is on about the pop up everytime you click a post on the forum for a competition to enter.I understand the need for advertising but this particular pop up comes up every time you click on a post or change forums.

Jackcoms 20:40 07 Jun 05

No, I'm "on about" the pop-ups which happen when I click between Forums headings.

And I say again, I've been using these Forums for several years but it's only started in the last few days.

It appears, though, that I may not be the only one who's noticed it and/or is annoyed by it.

stalion 20:42 07 Jun 05

the attempted pop up you are getting is as I have explained above it is for a competition
I have had to cancel it about thirty times in the last two days
Regards

Mr Mistoffelees 21:02 07 Jun 05

I see no pop-ups.

I see no ads at all on this site.

Buchan 35 21:04 07 Jun 05

Have`nt had a pop-up now for about 20 months on this site apart from the accepted pop-up ads as the mouse travels around. Just beneath the right/left scroll bar i discovered a few weeks ago that I`ve got something called Adblock. I don`t know for sure where it came from (probably Firefox?) but it`s not doing any harm so I`ve left it.
Jackcoms, just out of curiosity, have you got the Google bar pop-up blocker enabled?

Ancient Learner 21:05 07 Jun 05

I have exactly the same happening here. However, I assume that this is a way to help the publishers towards their first billion, and I am not too fazed by! (Mind you I did wonder what the heck was going on at first.)

VoG II 21:23 07 Jun 05

I must be stuck in a timewarp. This subject was especially popular about 2 years ago.

I have no pop-ups here - probably due to hosts file, SP2, Google toolbar and Adblock for Firefox.

I appreciate that the ads help to pay for the site. However, as a net contributor (pun intended) I think that I pay in another way - my time and effort given freely.

spuds 23:07 07 Jun 05

The pop-up is a recent addition to the forum, and it does appear after each page.Seems to advertises a money prize draw via Novatris.Going further into the link and it appears as though a company called Bluestreak.com as something to do with it.It would also seem as though Internet Explorer is the main host for this pop-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…