Poor translation skills!

Al94 18:26 31 Oct 08

click here - brilliant!

Forum Editor 18:46 31 Oct 08

is an absolute classic, and I hope the sign is preserved in a suitably public place as a reminder to those whose job it is to buy these things that it's wise to engage brain before operating order book.

justme 19:34 31 Oct 08

Perhaps they should also teach their officials how to use English correctly.

One is reported as saying "We took it down as soon as we were made aware of it and a correct sign will be re-instated as soon as possible."

In my day you could only re-instate something which had been there before. They did not have a correct sign before and therefore they can not re-instate it but merely erect one or replace the wrong one with a corrected one.

But of course that does not sound as grand as the official gobbley-gook that almost always comes from council spokesmen.

Chris the Ancient 11:28 01 Nov 08

Sometimes it just isn't purely translation. It's the original writer with a brain in neutral.

Many years ago, I worked for a large electronics company; and the single-storey building we worked in was extended. The extensions was three floors; and they put in a lift. It was decided that there should be some sort of emergency information in case of left breakdown.

The sign they put in stated...

"In case of emergency, do not evacuate yourself."

Chris the Ancient 11:29 01 Nov 08

Lift breakdown.

Clapton is God 12:25 01 Nov 08

Welsh people not understanding the Welsh language.

Marvellous.

Just one more example of why that 'language' is utterly pointless.

Cymro. 13:28 01 Nov 08

"Just one more example of why that 'language' is utterly pointless".

Careful there now "Clapton" I haven't been on this forum for the last week or so and would hate to have to start off again with an argument that like the Welsh language I doubt very much that you would even understand.

Bingalau 13:43 01 Nov 08

Clapton is God. Better be careful because I am sure our FE is of Welsh origin... He may have your guts for garters...

laurie53 21:52 01 Nov 08

The point of Welsh, or any other minority language, is that some people like, or would like, to speak it.

Are they to be prevented, or hindered, even in their own country?

Most Dutch people speak very good English. Are we then to ban Dutch being spoken in Holland?

Quickbeam 09:17 02 Nov 08

That's the attitude of the Brit holidaying in Spain... "let them learn my language". It'll be a boring world when we get fully homogenised.

Bingalau 10:52 02 Nov 08

I thought it was milk that was "homogenised"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5