Polls say 88% want EU referendum

hssutton 20:09 02 Mar 08

What are the thoughts of members regarding this poll click here and the various quotes by Government Ministers and ex ministers.

More to the point will Mr Brown take the slightest bit of notice, or just bury his head further into the sand?

Stuartli 20:14 02 Mar 08

Judging by the Politics Show at lunch time, it's a continuing "No, No" from politicians.

How dare the general public disturb their cosy, comfortable existence.

Might have been different if there had been a general election in a few weeks.

peter99co 20:37 02 Mar 08

He promised a referendum on the Treaty but that was dropped. This is about amendments to the Treaty and he said therfore does not qualify for a referendum. The whole thing contains so much gobbledegook that nobody really understands what it is all about. The small print can affect us so much we will have little chance of being finding out until it is to late.

lofty29 21:01 02 Mar 08

There are lies, damm lies, and politicians promises

Forum Editor 22:54 02 Mar 08

whether the UK should hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, with 88% voting 'yes'."

Before asking that question it might have been an idea to ask 'Do you have the faintest clue what the Lisbon Treaty means?'

Totally-braindead 23:48 02 Mar 08

Just what I was thinking FE, I had no idea what the Lisbon Treaty was.

And having read the article I must admit I'm still none the wiser.

€dstowe 06:33 03 Mar 08

420,000 poll papers went out. 152,520 (36.2%) responded. Therefore the 88% being bandied about should really read 88% of 36.2 which is 41% - not in the same league at all.

Who was it said "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"?

€dstowe 06:37 03 Mar 08

That arithmetic is wrong but you get my drift.

Monoux 07:18 03 Mar 08

MPs are too busy deciding when to adopt the new wheeze of paying themselves £160 per day just for turning up at work to be bothered to listen to the people

anchor 09:28 03 Mar 08

In a true democracy when important changes to our constitution are proposed, then the people should have the chance to vote on it. The Lisbon Treaty, most EU leaders agree, is substantially the same as the original Constitutional Treaty.

Kate Hoey, the Labour MP for Vauxhall, was even threatened with expulsion from the parliamentary party for supporting the referendum campaign. The government are using the whips to try to ensure the bill passes. This is not democracy, it is government by oligarchy.

laurie53 09:30 03 Mar 08

According to the original report which I read, I seem to recall that only Lib Dem and Tory voters were asked.

If this is correct it is hardly representative.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac