Political Parties on Ballot Papers

BT 08:19 25 Aug 14
Answered

Can anyone remember or know just when they started printing the Party that the Candidates represent on Ballot Papers.

I seem to remember that when I was first able to vote in the '60s there were only the Candidates names and printing their party allegiance only came about sometime in the '70s.

The reason I'm asking is because in the BBC Drama 'The Village' last night set in the 1920's the Ballot papers had the Parties printed under the Candidates names similar to today's Ballot Papers, and I don't think this is right.

The BBC are usually very good at historical accuracy but sometimes make glaring mistakes.

Forum Editor 08:28 25 Aug 14
Answer

The answer to your question is 1969.

BT 08:31 25 Aug 14

FE

Thanks for that, so I was right. Searched all over trying to find it.

BT 08:41 25 Aug 14

Apparently the Milking machine had a Villiers engine which dates from the 40's/50's - OOPS!

BillSers 08:58 25 Aug 14

When I voted in the EU elections this year I wanted to know before polling day the list of prospective candidates. But could I find out? So on polling day I had a sheet of paper with about 20 nominees and several of all the numerous parties had similar sounding names, so I made a mistake (soon rectified). But I would like to make an informed choice before picking up the voting form and voting.

Woolwell 11:04 25 Aug 14

BillSers - I found the names and parties for the EU election quite easily using a Google search. UKpolling report is a site that lists all of the elections. You can find the EU candidates from a window bottom right.

spuds 11:38 25 Aug 14

I don't know how much this will effect ballot papers in the future, but in my area there have been recent boundry changes, which might make past candidates who held 'safe' seats in one area, move to another area, with perhaps no guarantees of being re-elected?.

I suspect this will lead to challenges for some people and future candidates?.

BT 12:37 25 Aug 14

BillSers

If you get a Postal Vote you get the Ballot Paper a week or so before Polling day so can study it at your leisure.

Woolwell 13:15 25 Aug 14

spuds - It will not affect ballot papers as such. We have a boundary change in my immediate locality. Some councillors will have to seek re-election in a different ward albeit only a few miles away. However boundary changes really only affects District or County Councillors and MP's as they are paid but Parish Councillors are not. It is difficult to get enough good quality parish councillors to stand.

BillSers 08:40 26 Aug 14

I think Google isn't my friend anymore because when I searched extensively for a list of candidates I got zilch. Thanks for the heads up.

flycatcher1 20:35 26 Aug 14

In 1964 my wife and I went to vote at a Polling Station near Doncaster. The seat was the Don Valley which I seem to remember normally had the highest Labour majority in the country. On the way up some steps a woman rushed up to my wife and asked who the Labour Candidate was. Luckily for her we knew.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…