Police in Warwickshire

Chas49 13:40 06 Aug 10

All Police Stations in Warwickshire to close between 10pm and 8 am because the authorities cannot afford to keep them open.

Does this mean that crime is not committed at night - I don't think so!

Are criminals now free to do their thing after 10pm safe in the knowledge that only the public stand between them and their targets?

What if a member of the public uses reasonable force to detain a burglar - does he/she have to hold them until after 8am?

Jeez!!!!

wiz-king 13:46 06 Aug 10

No, it means that at least one policeman per station can do real work, manning the front desk at night was a real chore with most of the customers being drunks complaining about things they would not even think of while sober or that could wait for the day shift.

sunnystaines 14:05 06 Aug 10

anyone watch the glenn beck show on fox tv last night some democrat towns in the USA are making police officers redundant while at the same time spending millions on arts museums and fountains.

johndrew 14:25 06 Aug 10

Our local Police Station is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and until 12 mid-day Saturday as crime is not committed at other times. All enquires are routed to our 'nearest' open Station 40 miles away outside these hours.

All a bit like Doctors' Surgeries, Hospital A & E Departments and various other services which now appear to be prefixed with 'non-'. Maybe when we become a rich country we will get all these services back 24/7 again. (Watches flight of pigs from window through rose tinted (private prescription) spectacles and sighs.).

Chas49 15:34 06 Aug 10

This is so crazy that I c an't believe that our 'betters?' seriosly intend to do the closures - that, perhaps they are trying a scare tactic to force more money to be alloted to the Police Forces in general. If not then it will not be long before other big areas are robbed of their policing. What next - Ambulances non operational after 6pm? ie: Factory hours.

Would I be correct in thinking that local councils 'pay' for policing the district and that these councils are alloted so much money by Government to help with this. That the Government have cut this money?

I do hope that this country gets its priorities right - not like SunnyStaines example.

Bingalau 16:27 06 Aug 10

Why don't they close during the day and stay open at night? Sounds much more sensible to me.

HondaMan 16:35 06 Aug 10

I was involved in a minor RTC a couple of years back when the driver of the other car made off. I chased him and caught and stopped him. My wife rang the police. They couldn't be bothered to attend even though the other driver had made off in an attempt to avoid his responsibilities.

In the end I sued him privately for my damages - and won!

Chas49 17:43 06 Aug 10

I take it that 'ranting' is not directed towards myself.

The safety of the general public from criminals taling advantage of closed police stations in large towns or 'the sticks' is the concern of everyone. Of course, the report may have been exaggerated by the TV journalists concerned - I hope so.

A question to be asked if the report was accurate, ie: all Police Stations to be closed from 10pm to 8am, is - 'If you are being burgled, attacked etc. Who do you contact?' Presumably, there would be a central office to take calls and that office would have the ability to contact mobile officers. In fact that may be the system now for all I know.

Forum Editor 17:44 06 Aug 10

has been closed at night for several years. It's not a problem - the Police are available on the phone, just the same.

This story can be filed under 'lot of fuss about nothing'.

Forum Editor 17:49 06 Aug 10

from criminals taling advantage of closed police stations in large towns or 'the sticks' is the concern of everyone."

Well yes, it would be, if in fact the safety of the general public was affected in any way, but it's not. You're getting worked up for no reason. The police will be dealing with crimes in exactly the same way - you'll just have to phone them instead of going to a police station and waiting to be seen.

Outside each closed station there will be a special phone which can be used by anyone needing to speak to the Police. All telephoned crime reports have been handled by call centres for years - it's a far better system.

Chas49 18:26 06 Aug 10

FE:

Your entries:

"you'll just have to phone them instead of going to a police station and waiting to be seen."

"All telephoned crime reports have been handled by call centres for years - it's a far better system."

That answers my question and is what I wanted to hear.

"This story can be filed under 'lot of fuss about nothing'" - that now appears to be so.

BTW: The impression that I was worked up is, I'm glad to say, false. I was labouring under the illusion that closing police stations meant fewer (or no) police officers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…