Police undercount violent crimes

Seth Haniel 10:12 23 Oct 08

The Home Office has admitted that some police forces have been undercounting some of the most serious violent crimes in England and Wales.

Officials said some crimes that should have been classed as grievous bodily harm were recorded as a lesser assault.

As a result, violent crime in the second quarter of this year has increased 22% compared to the same period last year.

Policing Minister Vernon Coaker said crime figures could still be trusted.
click here

(disclaimer :- post taken verbatim form 'Breaking BBC News - so any complaints please go to BBC)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:45 23 Oct 08

Why should anyone be surprised?

G

canarieslover 10:50 23 Oct 08

These are probably the same police that can't get the correct fuel in the tank in Essex.click here

Seth Haniel 10:50 23 Oct 08

They claim that most of their job is now paperwork - and they even get that wrong ;0

newman35 11:11 23 Oct 08

the usual suspects coming out to do some 'police bashing'.

The Gov have re-classified some crimes, and the result appears to suggest 'worse' results! A bit of a daft thing for Gov to do, don't you think?
Crimes are still being reported and dealt with, so it suggests to me this could be a 'news distraction' technique.

Seth Haniel 12:34 23 Oct 08

the usual suspects coming out to do turn a blind eye to the facts

There will never be a change till people demand a better service

hiding ones head in the sand will just make the situation worse

spuds 13:10 23 Oct 08

When people start quoting 'official' statistics and the guessing game, I really feel like putting on a concerned or perhaps surprised look.

You only need to look at the violence at weekends, with the 'all hours' drinking. Most of the injuries or confrontations go unreported.

Look at any major city and car parking, and again vandalism is there to be seen. Yet in most cases, that also goes unreported, unless an insurance claim is made and a crime number is required.

The list is extensive :O((

newman35 13:14 23 Oct 08

What has happened is that crimes recorded in a box marked "other violence against the person" should have been put in a box marked "most serious violence against the person".

The real disaster with this is that it will increase people's distrust of the data and millions will go on believing they are at increased risk of violence.

There is no evidence against the police actually trying to deceive us, or not doing their job properly - the Government simply changed a category of 'box'.
Mountain and molehill spring to mind.

jakimo 16:40 23 Oct 08

Its the usual attempt of claiming things are not as bad as they seem,sadly theres still voters who believe her

Forum Editor 23:10 23 Oct 08

of unreported crime - lots of people have lots of reasons for not becoming involved with the Police, and one of those reasons is certainly the feeling that it's not worth it. We all know that Police officers are inundated with paperwork. It's estimated that it costs UK Police services around £600 million a year, and two years ago the chairman of the Kent Police Federation summed up the situation when he said:

"The target-driven culture rammed down our throats by our political masters has focused our attention on ticking boxes and not on quality of service."

Currently every time an officer does a 'stop and search' a huge form has to be completed, so that Home Office officials can monitor whether ethnic minorities are being unfairly targeted, and so that Senior Officers can spot any anomalies, such as one officer doing a lot more stops than his/her colleagues. This silly bureaucratic exercise is being stopped this year, but it's only one example.

Police are constantly pilloried for this or that, and certain people delight in portraying them as mentally deficient plods, but those are the people who haven't any real clue of what it's like to deal with the kind of stuff that officers face on a daily basis. I'm biased of course, because I have two brothers with Police experience - one retired now after a lifetime of service, and one still serving in a special unit. Both of them have regaled me with tales of their experience over the years, and I know what the reality is. The people who enjoy pouncing on supposed Police inefficiencies would probably be the last to admit that they would be immensely relieved to see a Police car appear if they were in real trouble, but officers know that's the case, nevertheless.

I've seen the way lots of Police services work around the world in the course of my travels, and what I've seen and heard makes me realise just how lucky we are in this country. I wonder how many of the detractors would fancy walking into the midst of a full-blown pub fight late on a Friday night and trying to sort out how to handle a dozen or so drunken yobs throwing glasses. I fancy that they might prefer to stay safe indoors and let the Police take the stick. That's fine, but sometimes I wish we could see less knee-jerk criticism and a little more understanding that things aren't always the way the newspapers would have us think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…