Police - Different rules?

K_elt 21:25 16 Feb 08

Two policemen featured in national newspapers recently, one for passing address details to a third party, and one for kerb-crawling.

Both were fined, and both apparently kept their jobs, although the officer caught kerb-crawling was also demoted. Question is, should they remain on the force or should they automatically be removed?

The PC passed details to someone who used the information to go to the house and put a brick through a window as a follow on from a dispute over parking. An elderly gentleman died as a result of shock brought on by this attack, and the perpetrators have been found guilty of causing his death. This obviously had more serious immediate consequences.

Brumas 21:33 16 Feb 08

They should be thrown out! A policeman's conduct should always be above reproach - how can you uphold the law if you bend or break it yourself?

interzone55 21:47 16 Feb 08

The officer who passed on address details has resigned from the force...

click here

Monoux 21:55 16 Feb 08

Shame their political masters who get caught out don't have the same conscience

rdave13 23:47 16 Feb 08

Yes.

DANZIG 00:49 17 Feb 08

Rules are, apparently, rules.

Break them and it gets investigated and if necessary, you get shafted. And rightly so.

Monoux 09:05 17 Feb 08

DANZIG-- Unless you are a politician -- you can then keep your job for another two years at £60k per year

bremner 10:32 17 Feb 08

The rules should apply equally to all involved in the legal process.
Politicians, lawyers, barristers, judges, CPS and police officers.

Does it? Of course not.

K_elt 19:38 17 Feb 08

I agree it should apply across the board, as it were, and also that police are human too. I think there are some circumstances where they can break the rules and survive, but clearly some areas that they can't and it shouldn't be tolerated if it happens and should mean automatic dismissal.

Admiral Allstar 22:08 17 Feb 08

I always hate it when the police get preferential treatment. It stinks and makes me think there is a dual judicial system in place - one for the ordinary punter in the street and one for politicians and other officials.

Forum Editor 23:20 17 Feb 08

and at various times I've discussed this sort of thing with them both. Each of them said they wouldn't differentiate between a police officer and a member of the public when assessing evidence, but of course you might expect them to say that. I have no way of knowing, apart from the fact that I know them as friends, and I think they were being honest.

Human nature is human nature, however, and that applies in all walks of life. The truth is that overall things probably balance themselves out. There are police officers who bend the rules and get away with it, and there are those who do the same and are punished. You might say the same about bus drivers, or train drivers, or journalists, or pretty well any group of people. In the main I don't think we do too badly when it comes to discipline in the police services - certainly not when you compare us to a lot of other countries. It could always be better of course, but you could say that about anything.

I certainly don't think it's fair to say there's a dual judicial system in this country.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now