PLT, could this be the death of radio?

Valvegrid 21:11 06 Jul 04

I have noticed some of the helproom threads mentioning Power Line Transmission (PLT) or Internet over the electrical supply distribution system.

The computer industry seem very keen on promoting this technology without due consideration of other users of the radio spectrum.

This site gives the concerns over the emissions that are emitted by PLT:

click here

It seems like another example of a huge industry bulldozing through a new technology and the government, once again, sitting on the fence over the issue, because computers make more money at the moment than the radio spectrum; probably hoping the public will remain ignorant of the facts!

Incidentally, because PLT uses the radio spectrum the disturbance to PLT from radio transmitters will happen as well. Do I care if my high power radio transmitter interferes? NO! I think not.

Replies on a postcard to your local MP please.

Forum Editor 00:07 07 Jul 04

on this Valvegrid. Nobody's going to bulldoze through a new technology without due consideration for others.

PLT tests have been going on for years, and one major pilot was discontinued because street lamp columns were acting as antennae and disrupting both BBC and air-traffic control transmissions.

The truth about any technology is that:-

a. It will not be adopted unless it works properly.

b. Even when it works it will not be successful unless enough people adopt it to make it profitable.

c. In the case of any RF technology it will not be provided unless it's legal and licenced (if a licence is required).

It's very public-spirited of you to say that you don't care if your high-powered radio transmitter interferes with other people's broadband internet access, but fortunately those people don't have to worry - your transmitter is nowhere near the power of many of the transmitters used by the BBC, the armed services and the intelligence services, and none of them caused any problems in the tests already carried out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…