A Plea for Backups

€dstowe 07:59 25 Dec 06

(I've posted this on other pages)

Before I go for my Christmas jollities, can I make yet another plea to anyone who doesn't have a backup of their computer system, to make one without delay.

There are several threads recently, some still running, which would be totally unnecessary if a backup had been made and used to get the system back to how it should be.

I appreciate that people may be bored to tears by me constantly posting this same subject but, the fact remains that there is a continuing stream of posts where a backup could have saved much stress and heartache.

DON'T JUST THINK ABOUT IT. DON'T LEAVE IT AS ANOTHER NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION WAITING TO BE BROKEN AS SOON AS YOU CAN. DO IT. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

(Before anyone tells me that posting in upper case letters is shouting, I know, it's supposed to be).

If you've been lucky enough to get a new computer for Christmas treat it to a backup before you start mucking it up with things you wish you hadn't loaded, looked at or had come in by accident.

Come on folks, do it and then have a relaxed and HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

Bingalau 09:51 25 Dec 06

Edstowe. I did one about three months ago, which I have on DVD. Is that enough? Or should I do another one? ..Bingalau..

€dstowe 10:43 25 Dec 06

Depends on how many changes have been made to your machine in that time and if you're prepared to re-install/re-do all the things that are now different.

My home computers are backed up weekly, some of my studio ones (with important work on them) are done daily.

Bingalau 11:43 25 Dec 06

I haven't made any big changes that I know of, I think the biggest thing I have done is retype out all my addresses of friends etc. Handy next christmas when sending out cards etc. About 170 with phone numbers. I have printed it off but intend leaving it in case of additions and changes over the coming months. Probably got a few new photo's somewhere since the last lot so Yes! I think I had better do an upgrade or whatever it's called. Thanks for the reminder, you haven't been wasting your time €dstowe. Hey!! managed to find that symbol. "Alt and 0128" Is that how you get it or is there an easier way? ..All the best for the time of year. ..Bingalau..

€dstowe 12:04 25 Dec 06

Alt Gr + 4 = €

Bingalau 12:06 25 Dec 06

€dstowe. Thanks for that. Not often I will need it of course but one never knows. I will add it to my list of tips. ..Bingalau..

Brumas 22:35 25 Dec 06

As Santa brought me a 40gb USB external HDD it will be a breeze and easy to do now, thanks for your enthusiasm!

Apron 06:45 26 Dec 06

This is worrying me now. It's the word'system'. I do put all my work onto a Lexar jump drive regularly, so all important files are safe (aren't they?). What's this system thing. I am changing machines in the New Year, I will have to go to the helproom before I do.

€dstowe 06:55 26 Dec 06

The "system thing" is a backup of your whole computer setup so that in the event of failure, you are able to re-install your computer to as it was before the failure occurred - operating system, programs, all of your own tweaking, files and settings.

Note that a full system backup is for the machine it was made from only, you cannot transfer it to another machine. If you want to transfer the personal files and settings from your current machine to your new one then check out Files and Settings Transfer Wizard which you will find in Help & Support.

Apron 07:14 26 Dec 06

Edstowe
Sorry I can't do the euro sign. You are a love. I have laptop (had it ages but have been loth to use XP) now finally I have decided to get rid of this huge old thing and declutter a bit. I will use Help & Support and take my time. Must move forward.

€dstowe 10:30 26 Dec 06

€ = Alt Gr + 4

If your old machine is pre-XP or pre-ME then wait for your new one which will explain about files & settings transfer.

You philosophy of taking your time is a good one. If more people refrained from going hell for leather at things, there may be a lot less problems (here and elsewhere!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009