Playstation 3 breaks all records

frostyuk 16:29 27 Mar 07

for those of you who thought it would flop well seems like sony have done it even with microsoft trying to upset the party click here

Kate B 17:03 27 Mar 07

It's impossible to quantify those sales figures in comparison with the 360 or Wii first-weekend figures because there were lots of disappointed would-be console owners for both products. Who knows how many they would have sold if they'd shipped the 1m units that Sony says it shipped?

WhiteTruckMan 17:05 27 Mar 07

between shipped (to retailers) and sold (to end use customers)

click here

WTM

Totally-braindead 17:13 27 Mar 07

To be fair the BBC report does say that 165,000 of the PS3 were sold and of a million shipped over Europe 600,000 were sold, leaving 400,000 on the shelves I suppose. All the shops in my small town have signs saying PS3s in stock some even day limited stock but all have some left. None of them are sold out. And thinking about it I don't know a single person that has one or wants one as they all think its too dear. They may change their mind if they see it and its really good though. The shops are out of stock of other consoles though and have been for some time.

Totally-braindead 17:13 27 Mar 07

day = say

Sic 17:16 27 Mar 07

Walked past a 'Game' store at lunch and there was a small queue of people buying PS3's, surprised me.

georgemac © 18:07 27 Mar 07

Well just been in to our local Woolworths and bought a PS3 and Motorstorm, pretty easy set up and software update, connected wirelessly OK. I'm no gamer but it looks quite an impressive machine - knowing my luck the price will be cut in a month's time!

My son seems quite pleased, he has got his birthday pressie early as if he gets it at birthday time he has exams then and I think the studying could suffer! He was very persuasive about this and has been told - no studying PS3 will be removed!

Lady in Woolworths said most of their stock has now been sold.

Forum Editor 18:25 27 Mar 07

I don't think there's any debate about that. I don't think there was ever any doubt that Sony would sell their first million European allocation either - that was a foregone conclusion.

They'll need to sell an awful lot more than a million machines before they're in profit however, and - despite the hype following the European launch - the signs are not that auspicious. Microsoft sold 10.4 million Xbox 360's in 2006, and the first two months sales figures for the PS3 showed that around 780,000 units were sold in America. It's not to be sniffed at, but in a country that has a potential install base for the machine of around 126 million it's not too encouraging.

Sony says the PS3 is very important to the company, and Europe is certainly a very important market. The crucial time is going to be between now and next Christmas - If Sony sees a healthy sales trend by then I think they can relax a little. In the meantime I imagine there'll be some tense faces in the marketing department.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…