Plant identification

hssutton 21:24 21 Aug 11

Could someone help in identifying this plant. The plant is growing under a bird table in a friends garden. In just a few weeks it's grown to approx 1m high X .75m wide

Unknown plant

Unknown plant

alB 21:41 21 Aug 11

It looks like a Datura, link text

hssutton 22:20 21 Aug 11

Thanks aLB it certainly looks like you've indentified it. Many thanks.

Covergirl 12:57 22 Aug 11

We had a couple of interesting plants turn up from scattered birdseed.

One thing you ought to watch out for is hemp! There are active and none active varieties - "psycho" active that is - as the more common name for hemp is Cannabis.

You'll usually get the non-active type in birdseed - the fibres from the stem were commonly used for making rope, however nowadays it is quite a popular alternative "green" fibre for clothing and accessories like shopping bags.

Getting back to the point - if Mr Plod happens to visit your garden, he'll certainly be interested in it, and will be happy to accompany you to the local police station where you will arrested and charged with cultivation of an illegal plant. You can actually buy hemp seeds in pet shops, but cultivating it however innocently is against the law.

I've no doubt any innocent person will be able to prove their innocence and more than likely "get off" with it, but it's worth not getting into the situation in the first place. If you see any, pull it up and dispose of in any way you see fit.

Aitchbee 20:15 22 Aug 11

In general, it's always a good idea to label all of your plants.I have grown about 5 varieties of tomatoes this year, I don't know which is which. Identification of 'unknowns' is always a 'fun' challenge.Edible and poisionous plants all look the same to the untrained eye.Beware!

morddwyd 20:21 22 Aug 11

Do you seriously expect people to label everything that grows up under the birdseed table?

A bit unrealistic I think.

wiz-king 20:25 22 Aug 11

morddwyd You have to resort to the old museum trick - if your not sure what it is , stick 'In course of arrangement' label on it.

Aitchbee 20:26 22 Aug 11

morddwyd - no, but my humble contribution might be helpful to any plant-growers...In General...

Aitchbee 20:37 22 Aug 11

I've got a big bag of bird-seed (half-full) about 2kg.What's the best way to germinate them.

Aitchbee 08:59 23 Aug 11

fourm member - cars and bicycles are usually labelled!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…