Plans to broaden broadband coverage

natdoor 19:36 16 Jun 09

The proposed method of achieving widespread broadband coverage and faster speeds is a tax of £60 per year on each telepohone line to provide necessary funds, click here. I believe that the franchising of cable to different companies in different areas was a major disaster based on a political ideolgy. Had BT been given the requirement to undertake fibre optic installations we would be in a afr better state now. Many have derided Bt's performance as a nationalised industry and pointed to much improved performance post nationalisation. However, this overlooks the fact that System X was implemented prior to privatisation but only came widely on stream shortly after it.

I believe that it is no coincidence that states with central planning are far in advance of us in implementing universl high-speed broadband.

lofty29 19:50 16 Jun 09

The report that I saw stated £6 pa. but even that is a bit strong for those who do not want BB or have a pc. Seems to me to be on the lines of if you want a fixed telephone line you are going to be taxed for something you do not use.

octal 19:56 16 Jun 09

That was my thought when I read it, yet another stealth tax. My mum doesn't have the internet, but she is paying for the privilege of not having it, bit dumb.

canarieslover 19:59 16 Jun 09

By my calculation it is only £6.00 per year but that does not make it any better really. It is still another tax. I may not mind paying as I use the internet a lot but my mother only has a telephone because her emergency call button needs it to function, so her use of the internet is nil. If there is going to be a tax then it should be on users.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:02 16 Jun 09

Having checked my latest bill from Tiscali, I am horrified to note that no one else is paying towards the improvemnet of my service. Stealth tax plain and simple. So, let me tot it up, I'm paying for the banks, various bits of ailing UK industry, pregnant teenage mothers and feckless youths too idle/thick to get a job, the comfort of prisoners, the roads, that bunch in our shire hall, the rail network (to a degree) and now bleedin' broadband. If anyone else wants some of my money please email me.

G

Jim Thing 20:28 16 Jun 09

You forgot one. You're also paying for a war invented by spin doctors. But never mind, eh? —
when you're old you'll get some of it back. Occasionally. In small instalments.

Bingalau 21:06 16 Jun 09

Can I have your e-mail address please Gandalf, I'm a bit short this week. But once I get to March next year and my happy eightieth birthday I will be o.k. because I believe I get an extra 25p a week.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:17 16 Jun 09

'But once I get to March next year and my happy eightieth birthday I will be o.k. because I believe I get an extra 25p a week'..wild party at your gaff then?

G

Si_L 23:08 16 Jun 09

For a faster internet connection.

Stuartli 23:19 16 Jun 09

It's yet more spin from GB and cronies - talk of the UK being the broadband capital of the world is sheer hypocrisy.

The proporal is for everyone to get at least 2Mb by 2012 or just after, yet some other countries already have speeds of up to 50 times faster than that.

It's also yet another example of a Labour Government getting everyone else to pay for its ideas, yet clinging on for dear life to the taxes it has already raised from us.

Remember that it refused to pay out around £30m annually to help certain people suffering serious diseases to be provided with drugs that would extend their lifespan by up to a year?

The argument was that the Government (i.e. taxpayers) couldn't afford it, yet not too long after that it staggered us all by delivering many billions of pounds to bail out the financial institutions.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:36 16 Jun 09

So, as we are all to cough up the loot for BB access, do we all share in the profits as well? No, thought not.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…