Pirates rule the (air) Waves

Sethhaniel 09:33 24 Nov 06

Legally --
Ban on MP3 transmitters is lifted
click here

Ofcom is legalising the use of FM transmitters that allow iPods and other MP3 players to play through car radios.

Ofcom will also remove the need for a licence to use Citizens' Band radio.

Sense at last ;)

dagbladet 10:08 24 Nov 06

Being more than a bit clueless in this area, is there potential for sitting in a traffic jam and getting other folks MP3 coming through your radio?

Bob The Nob© 10:27 24 Nov 06

Yes, there is. So you could be stuck on the M25 listening o some kids 'new metal' music or something like that, without them even realising!

Dows it now mean that you can broadcast music over CB?

Sethhaniel 11:15 24 Nov 06

so unless youre tailgating in normal circumstances you'd be OK

And you'd have to have your car radio tuned to the same frequency ;)

Mind I got a funny look from a couple in a white van who pulled up next to me in a traffic Jam -
;)

octal 11:32 24 Nov 06

I wonder where all these spare channels are in London, any spare channel is usually taken up by various pirate stations that have been on those frequencies for years and no one seems particularly concerned about closing them down.

Bob The Nob©,
It will be illegal under copyright laws to broadcast music and there still will be regulations regarding the operation of CB equipment as will the amateur licence when it becomes free.

spuds 11:38 24 Nov 06

When I saw the title, I thought Radio Caroline was returning :O)

octal 11:44 24 Nov 06

I never went away ;-)

Neither has BigL, listen on 1395KHz.

rodriguez 11:56 24 Nov 06

You can get Radio Caroline on Sky 0199 and BigL on Sky 0190 as well. ;-)

Kate B 12:44 24 Nov 06

I've used one of these (in France, dunno if they're legal there or not) and they're useful if you're away from a big population centre but not much good in a big place where the FM airwaves are busy.

Sethhaniel 12:49 24 Nov 06

Mine was perfect for the run from Hartlepool through Northumberland into Scotland
but as Edinburgh loomed the signal got over run

so back to the radio for duration of journey ;)

Sethhaniel 14:21 24 Nov 06

can get more than 20 fm transmitters for the cost of one of those ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…