Pirates Ahoy!

Quickbeam 18:36 18 Apr 11

Pirates R Us

I wouldn't fancy having my cruise ship rigged up with razor wire and guarded by Gurkhas. It would make it a bit like staying in the penthouse suite of the local Mandela House high rise protected with anti vandal paint and an ex policeman for a holiday. It sort of takes the glitz away a bit, doesn't it.

Quickbeam 18:37 18 Apr 11

...and I got the link to work right!

Al94 18:41 18 Apr 11

Another cue for FE to say he wouldn't be caught dead on a cruise ship! Looking forward to my next one anyway.

Forum Editor 18:49 18 Apr 11

I wouldn't be caught dead

on a cruise ship.

ams4127 22:00 18 Apr 11

I wouldn't be caught dead or alive on a cruise ship!

morddwyd 08:12 19 Apr 11

Oh, I don't know.

A couple of months in a First Class Stateroom on the QM II might be a bit relaxing.

SparkyJack 09:07 19 Apr 11

I could not get the link to work - but I think I have seen it previously on here or another site. As for cruising- I have had a few in recent times on smaller ships and to less crowded places- Antarctica and Iceland and the Faroes for example.

A cruise I did to the Caribbean [on a smaller ship] was less successful - the stops were crowed with the huge 'White Whales' and the locations were choc a bloc with gawping/snapping /touristy types, from that angle I can agree with FE's sentiments Smaller vessels are a different thing more like mobile country houses with extras- Examples - the Fred Olsen 4 or Hurtigruten and the Saga 2 and good old Macro Polo- Nearly fifty but sill going strong

SparkyJack 09:08 19 Apr 11

I could not get the link to work - but I think I have seen it previously on here or another site. As for cruising- I have had a few in recent times on smaller ships and to less crowded places- Antarctica and Iceland and the Faroes for example.

A cruise I did to the Caribbean [on a smaller ship] was less successful - the stops were crowed with the huge 'White Whales' and the locations were choc a bloc with gawping/snapping /touristy types, from that angle I can agree with FE's sentiments Smaller vessels are a different thing more like mobile country houses with extras- Examples - the Fred Olsen 4 or Hurtigruten and the Saga 2 and good old Macro Polo- Nearly fifty but sill going strong

interzone55 11:13 19 Apr 11

I can't imagine anything worse than going on a cruise, strikes be as being like Butlins on water. I like to be able to steer well clear of other people, not something that's possible when you're in what amounts to a gilded cage...

Bingalau 14:58 19 Apr 11

emphasized textMy last cruise was on the grey funnel line and lasted for two and a half years. I was not a happy bunny as I preferred the "Per Terram" bit of our motto. But as I had taken the king's shilling (actually four of them which was the first day's pay. I still have them). But apart from a couple of small trips from and to various places I never set foot on a RN Ship again.

Anybody remember the film "Two Years Before The Mast" I think it starred Alan Ladd? I commented to my wife that it was much the same as my "cruise". But she thought I was kidding! She hinted a couple of times about going on a cruise and I said that was fine by me but I would be staying at home awaiting her homecoming.

Bingalau 15:00 19 Apr 11

What happened there? I tried to put the words "Per Terram" in italics and failed miserably..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…