pin/unpin versus desktop toolbar

gigagiggles 05:47 23 Nov 09

Since Windows 7 was introduced, most if not all reviews and analyses cite the taskbar pin/unpin as something noteworthy. This boggles my mind, since Windows XP had already introduced this "technology", and Vista and Windows 7 retained this "technology". This "technology" is called the desktop toolbar.

Oddly enough, a Yahoo search yielded only two relevant hits in four pages. In both cases, the info from Microsoft was sparse. I discovered this toolbar late in my Vista's lifecycle. And it worked just as well with Windows 7.

I have direct shortcuts of executables and folders exposed on the desktop toolbar overlaying the taskbar. And I have various categorised, unexposed folders of shortcuts accessible via dropdown cascading menu located between the desktop toolbar and the system tray. AND the desktop icons can be hidden from view.

So when I read about tweaking the Windows 7 to pin the recycle bin or Computer to the taskbar, I'm wondering if I'm one of the rare ones that already have them on my desktop toolbar on top of my taskbar?

dms_05 13:38 23 Nov 09

The new Window 7 Pin feature is automatic. The user doesn't have to do anything (other than chose Pin/Unpin). If you have (say) an Office icon in the task bar then hovering over that produces a pop-up tile that shows recent files opened by Office as well as a view of the current file open. If you want to Pin that (or one of the other files) to the Tile then you chose that option and in future simply click on it to open the Application and File. It's very very useful if you use many different files in the same Application.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now