Phrases that mean the opposite.(Mostly).

KRONOS the First 13:43 PM 22 Jul 12

"Lessons will/have be/been learnt"

I have learnt from personal experience that this is invariable the opposite is true

"Open and transparent"

Usually proceeded our government/council ETC will be now that we have been elected. I think my comment on the first phrase will also be very apt here.

I have no doubt that there are others that equally false but oh so common these days. I can certainly think of a few.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:47 PM 22 Jul 12

Seems to apply to anything uttered by a politician :0)

Bing.alau 14:05 PM 22 Jul 12

I am heartily sick of the one about lessons being learned. Child welfare seems to be where it is commonly used. Then of course it is freely used when a hospital has a scandal associated within the premises.

Maybe PCA will use it when the alterations to this site are completed?

spuds 14:26 PM 22 Jul 12

One that gets me the most, is Goodwill Gesture.

It usually means that they know they have done wrong, but do not want to admit it!.

KRONOS the First 15:05 PM 22 Jul 12

Customers have told us

A favourite of the supermarkets, I was a customer and I did not tell them I wanted tasteless meat, fruit and vegetables.

bremner 15:06 PM 22 Jul 12

I respect your right to hold that opinion

"you are a complete idiot who has no idea what you are talking about"

KRONOS the First 15:12 PM 22 Jul 12

Spooky,I have just had a letter from a bureaucrat in my local health board in response to something to do with a long running action against it, containing that phrase, and you are so right.

spuds 15:16 PM 22 Jul 12

Perhaps off angle. When statistics or something like election results are quoted, showing an high percentage for an item or winning party, when in actual fact those taking part were very few?.

morddwyd 15:26 PM 22 Jul 12

"With respect" means anything but!

The, of course there is the old story of the French gentleman travelling in the lower bunk of a sleeper. The Englishman above him felt sick, and warned "Look out" so the Frenchman did.

Aitchbee 15:49 PM 22 Jul 12

I like the expression..."Things are looking pretty ugly!" attempt to euphemize any 'confrontation' going out of control...usually between professional football players!

wiz-king 15:52 PM 22 Jul 12

A fairly modern one 'known unknowns'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950 XL: What's the difference between Lumia 950 & 950 XL?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Medium's new logo was designed

iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2 comparison: Which of Apple's flagship iPads is best for you?