Photographers and prices.

lisa02 00:53 16 Mar 08

I entered my youngest daughter in a "Bonny Baby" Competition and she won first prize.....

Which is an A3 framed potrtrait done by a photographer and listed to be worth over £300.

I can't wait to see the results for that money for one picture! I'll be getting the full prize details during the week.

rossgolf 01:11 16 Mar 08

congrats.....didnt no they cost that much lol

Kemistri 02:23 16 Mar 08

The punter's £300 would not only pay for one picture, though; it would pay for a studio session from which the photographer will select the best image. Framing isn't cheap, either, so you have a good prize there (if he's any good). I assume that you will get roughly the same service, but perhaps have a bit less time given to it.

Jak_1 02:30 16 Mar 08

When you consider the work that will go in to producing an A3 size pic you will see where the cost comes in. It will be hand printed and perfect, done from a medium/large format film camera not digital. Film uses grain and so produces clearer quality pics on enlargement as using fine grain film, prob 25/50 iso film, this gives superior enlargement quality than enlarging the pixels from a digital pic. A lot of time will go into producing that pic and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the result. You will have to let us know when you recieve it.

Jak_1 02:32 16 Mar 08

A photographer friend of mine charges approx £2000 for a portfolio session in the studio.

Kemistri 03:40 16 Mar 08

Exactly my point.

the hick 08:25 16 Mar 08

Do professional photographers still use film? I thought it was all but gone, just used by enthusiasts now.

spuds 10:17 16 Mar 08

Perhaps I am being a little suspicious about "getting the full details during the week". A neighbour recently also won a 'bonny baby' photographic competition, and the first photo (selected by the company) was free (excluding the high postage and packing charge), all the rest that were available, came at a pressurised sales price. Hope I am wrong on this one, but perhaps something to watch out for!.

The neighbours and friends are still wondering how many others had won the same prize!.

lisa02 10:24 16 Mar 08

Spuds it was held as a community event and photos where submitted during last week. Winners (1st 2nd 3rd) where announced yesterday (picked by the mayor)at an outdoor 'fun day' but the actual community centre building was closed.

Jak_1 12:43 16 Mar 08

Yes they do. The quality of film still excedes that of digital especially on reproduction/enlargement. Whilst the professional end of the dicam range is exellent and suitable for newspapers and various magazines, film is still the medium of choice for profesional work. Weddings are testament to this.
What needs to be understood is how a picture is formed and how it enlarges. Film emulsion is made up of grain whilst the digi pic is made up of pixels. Using a low iso film, 25 - 100, on a medium format, 5cmx5cm, film the ensuing print can easily be enlarged to 16"x12" without any appreciable loss of quality, try that with even a high end home digicam and the result would be poor. What looks good on screen is never as good when printed out, the more you try to enlarge the greater the pixelation. Film retains the sharpnes more thus allowing greater enlargement before quality drop makes it unviable. Look at your high street posters on the billboards, most will be taken with large format/medium format cameras. A large format camera uses 8"x10" film!
A good dicam will produce an 8"x10" print to a reasonable quality but also depends upon using a high quality priner and photo management program such as Adobe Photoshop.
Film is going to be around for some time yet, at least for use by profesionals, freelances and serious enthusiasts. 35mm transparency film is my choice of film medium for use in my Olympus om4 camera and other Olympus cameras. As a freelance I use my digicam mainly for grab shots and potential location shots.
When a magazine uses digital pics, the file size they demand is usually a minimum of 5MB but more often than not a file size of 10 - 20 MG is required. So you can imagine the drive sizes required to store say 3 or 4 thousand pics is quite large, those same pics taken on film can stored in a filing cabinet and also not suffer from a hdd crash or accidental erasure!

Stuartli 23:57 18 Mar 08

>>film is still the medium of choice for profesional work. Weddings are testament to this.>>

Well every wedding I've been to over the past four or five years, including that of one of my offspring in 2003, has had me drooling over the wedding photographers' top of the professional range Canon, Nikon et al digital cameras.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…