Photocopier security

octal 18:53 11 May 10

I wasn't aware of this:

click here;photovideo

I didn't even know they contained an HDD.

peter99co 19:30 11 May 10

Are all machines built with this spec or is it an optional extra.

I shudder to think our machines have HDD built in.

bremner 19:43 11 May 10

One of my responsibilities was to ensure that HDD's were removed and wiped from photocopiers before they were taken away.

Not all copiers had them but a general rule of thumb was the more capabilities the greater the chance of a hard drive.

ronalddonald 23:16 11 May 10

Would all in one printer have these types of drives.

And with the photocopiers featured in the news report if the drive was removed could the copier still function without a drive.

Woolwell 23:43 11 May 10

I knew that copiers stored docs for a run and for collation but I thought that this was temp storage and didn't know about a HDD.

octal 06:02 12 May 10

It is a bit concerning, a few years ago I had to go to the corner shop and get some legal documents copied, although I haven't got concerns about the shop, I have about what happens to my stored documents when at the end of it's life the photocopier is carted off to some unknown destination where I have no control over what happens to my data.

I have an all in one Gestetner machine at work, I will be having a close look at that as I suspect that has got a HDD because it's got a document feeder on it and it capable of photocopying vast amounts of work in one go.

wiz-king 07:12 12 May 10

I have been told that some machines not only keep a copy but put a digital signature on each copy so that the source of a leaked copy can be traced.

jack 09:09 12 May 10

Certainly a basic photo copier is electro-mechanical
no computery stuff at all.
Multiple copies are/were obtained by keeping the original on the platen and the machine ran- one scan =one copy.
Now it seems high duty photocopiers are really moving into the realms of digital printing.

Thats fine providing the operators take care to become aware of the potential.
But my guess is that such machines-which are generally leased- are simply supplied, plugged and set to work without the user having any special knowledge of the machines potential

More Product training by the lease companies then?

interzone55 09:48 12 May 10

It's amazing how paranoid some people are.

Look at the cost and facilities of your device, the decide whether the manufacturer could afford to install a mass storage device based on the cost price.

For your average all in one printer there is no way there is built in hard drive, they barely have enough ram to spool a 5 page document.

Most small business photocopiers are the same.

The only devices which require storage are huge work group document centres which may have to spool many hundreds of pages for collation and binding.
Some printers also have security facilities to store documents until the person who printed them is standing in front of the printer and taps in their pass-code to print the document, I would imagine it would be remiss of any manufacturer who built in such a feature to not also include a facility to securely wipe that document from the drive once it was printed, but they probably didn't think about the end of the printer's life...

bremner 10:19 12 May 10

"Look at the cost and facilities of your device"

I am unsure from your posting whether you are refering to computer printers, standalone photocopiers or both. Many many companies lease their photocopiers.

They spend a great deal of money securing their computer networks against attack both from the inside and outside but do not realise that confidential, sensitive company information could be on the photocopier being wheeled out the door.

peter99co 20:32 12 May 10

Does the machine display any indications of HDD being onboard?

I would imagine you would also need controls to use the data it contains to make the copier work properly.

The examples of machines in the link show them to be of modest size and used in offices for what appears to be normal copying uses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac