Photochromic Lenses

morddwyd 10:05 10 Nov 10

Does anybody know of a brand of photochromic lens that works in a car?

Because of my macula degeneration I have to avoid bright sunlight, and low sun levels this time of the year give particular problems.

I have ordinary Reactolite specs, of course, which cover most other situations, but they don't work in the car (or with some brands of double glazing).

interzone55 10:40 10 Nov 10

Mine work in the car, but not as well as they do outdoors.

They're Transitions lenses from Boots...

Quickbeam 10:46 10 Nov 10

Mine don't work half as well in the car as outside. I don't know the brand, but are from Specsavers.

I think it's because you're in partial shade from the roof that causes it, it simply not bright enough for them to change.

For the reasons you give, I would get the optician to make you up some tinted glasses for driving, say,40/50%. I believe normal dark sunglasses are around the 80% mark.

interzone55 10:51 10 Nov 10

As Quickbeam suggests, get some sun glasses.

Many opticians now off two for one offers, so you'd just need to pay for a tint on the second pair...

jakimo 11:42 10 Nov 10

There are some photocromatic specs. specifically for use when driving,follow the link to the Photo chromatic Sunglasses section & read on about the choices available

click here

Quickbeam 12:16 10 Nov 10

That answers my thoughts on why they don't work in a car. So for next year I'll look for a pair of fixed tints for myself.

morddwyd 13:05 10 Nov 10

"I think it's because you're in partial shade from the roof that causes it, it simply not bright enough for them to change."

It's not that.

Most photochromic work on UV light and modern car glass filters it out (as does some double glazing).

"get some sun glasses."

I've got sunglasses of course, but I have to keep taking them on and off, and when in shade, or light cloud they are too dark, though it can still be bright enough to make my condition worse.

"There are some photocromatic specs. specifically for use when driving,"

I have driving glasses too, but I am looking for glasses for normal, everyday, each day, wear if possible.

Anything polarised also makes the car instrument display disappear! Only a minor niggle, but still a factor.

The condition is such that bright sunlight can make me blind (over time, not immediately) , and the risk of just nipping out of the car to a shop when it's a bit cloudy, and then coming out into sunlight is too great.

I should have made it clearer that I'm talking about prescription bi-focals.

interzone55 16:04 10 Nov 10

"Maybe someone should make photochromic windscreens for cars."

You can get them, but anyone who's the same photochromic glasses for more that a few years will tell you that they lose their power over time.

Cheap transitions wear out after about three years, dearer lenses work for 5 or more.

It's normal to change your glasses every couple of years, but it would be a little expensive getting Autoglass to swap your windscreen with that kind of frequency...

Quickbeam 08:14 11 Nov 10

But surely you're windscreen prescription would need changing within that period anyway...?

morddwyd 08:20 11 Nov 10

In answer to my original question, can I assume the answer is "No" then?

Quickbeam 08:26 11 Nov 10

I still think a fixed tint less than sunglasses 80% tint is what you need.

It does surprise me however that as this condition isn't exactly uncommon, the opticians and lens makers don't have an off the shelf product to suit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…