Phone tapping

exdragon 18:39 27 Jan 11

Just out of interest, how can Lesley Ash (or any other person) suddenly allege that their phone was tapped some years ago, just when the story has cropped up again?

gengiscant 18:41 27 Jan 11

Cash perhaps?

exdragon 18:52 27 Jan 11

Oh thou cynic!!

gengiscant 19:03 27 Jan 11

What me?

ams4127 22:38 27 Jan 11

Or publicity?

uk-wizard 05:48 28 Jan 11

I am gettig more and more annoyed with the reporting of this 'mobile phone' hacking. As far as I am aware it was voice-mail that was listened to not the mobile phone itself.

carver 08:33 28 Jan 11

May be it's because of this click here

So it's perfectly ok to tap into your voice mail without your consent.

interzone55 09:17 28 Jan 11

You are correct.

It's very difficult to listen into a digital mobile phone conversation without either very sophisticated equipment or access to the telco's kit.

On the other hand it's a trivial matter to phone Orange or O2's message centre, enter a person's phone number and listen to their messages, especially as most people never change their pin number - including me, but if any newspaper wants to listen to my messages I'll save them the trouble, the last three are:
1) My landlord asking me if it's OK for the builders to enter my house to plug in their cement mixer
2) My girlfriend checking what time I'm getting home
3) My boss wishing me a happy new year

Chegs ®™ 15:23 30 Jan 11

I recall having a scanner some years ago that allowed me to "tune-in" to mobile phone conversations,I eventually connected the scanner to my PC & using a free download could also receive pager messages.I very quickly tired of overhearing salesmen phoning the wife to say what time they'd be home for tea,etc or pager messages telling the recipient that they'd to call at such & such address.Although mobile phones have gone digital,there are few occasions where a scanner is needed to overhear the conversation as the caller often doesn't need the bloody phone they shout so loudly the other end of the call can probably hear them anyway.

bremner 15:31 30 Jan 11

I am not surprised you only listed the last 3 because number 4 was a beaut ;o)

jakimo 15:43 30 Jan 11

According to a tv report.when the story broke Lesley ash was told that both her and her children's details were found on a list

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos