Phone call charges

rickf 17:16 08 Oct 14

When is the starting point of charge when you make a call? Is it when the call starts ringing or when it is actually answered. Good to know.

BT 17:37 08 Oct 14

Used to be when the call was answered in the old days but I'm not so sure now that most providers have a Call Set Up charge of 10 - 15p before you even start paying for the time. I don't think the Call Set Up charge applies for the free call parts of your land line package (i.e. evenings and weekends)

Forum Editor 17:51 08 Oct 14

I have always understood that (on a normal BT landline) the call charge starts when the called number responds - in other words when the call connection goes live.

bumpkin 18:07 08 Oct 14

From a land line when and only if the call is answered, no other charges. Mobiles vary.

rickf 20:32 08 Oct 14

Yes, I have always thought it start when the call is answered. Then it suddenly occured to me that I have never actually checked but just an assumption on my part.

Aitchbee 20:56 08 Oct 14

" Then it suddenly occured to me that I have never actually checked but just an assumption on my part."

I was [also] surprised to find out that by dialling 1471 to find out who had last called me [unanswered by me] was now a chargeable service - of about 20p-a-go ... it soon tots up :o[

morddwyd 08:27 09 Oct 14

That is a surprise HB, I thought it was still free.

I often use 1471 when my system tells me someone has rung but not left a message.

Thanks for the heads up!

BT 08:34 09 Oct 14

Aitchbee

1471 - From BT's Website.

It's free to use 1471 to find out the last number that called. If you press '3' to return the call there's a 19.9p charge plus the cost of the call.

1471 - Virgin website.

Free. Lets you know the last number that called you and allows you to return the call. A charge sometimes applies for returning the call.

They both make an extra charge if you use the 'Press 3 to return the call' option. Cheaper to just write the number down and redial it.

Can't vouch for other providers but I did hear that Talk Talk charge.

carver 08:41 09 Oct 14

Sky charge from the moment the call is answered and that's why I get so annoyed when you have to go through a whole list of options, but they do not charge for 1471.

BillSers 08:44 09 Oct 14

What surprises me is the directory enquiry numbers once they've given you the number they ask casually 'would you like me to put you through' BUT without telling you it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. Now that should be illegal. They should inform how much the charge will be.

BT 09:05 09 Oct 14

Virgins 118 180 Directory enquiry service is free, don't know if they charge to put you through.

Some of the charges for these services are horrendous. The ones advertise on TV cost a fortune

118 call charges

Most phone numbers can be found without using these services.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…