phishing illegal, but

octal 13:07 04 Oct 05

how is this going to work for them click here ? Most of the phishing emails I get are from places like Russia, I even had one from Italy a few weeks ago.

g0slp 15:05 04 Oct 05

I think that the key word there, at present anyway, is "symbolic".

Mark.

octal 17:37 04 Oct 05

Hi Mark,

I would have thought it would have been better to concentrate their efforts on education within their own boarders rather than fruitless Sabre-rattling.

Paul.

g0slp 17:43 04 Oct 05

Well put, Paul.

Pretty good spin, though...

Forum Editor 17:47 04 Oct 05

I can appreciate your logic, but bear in mind that even sabre-rattling is sometimes effective. What's needed is a few high-profile court cases to raise awareness amongst the people who go phishing - once they understand that the law has provided victims with a means to seek compensation the incidence of opportunist phishing trips will decline. There'll be plenty of organised and determined criminals who'll remain active of course, but the process will have started.

If the usual pattern is repeated other countries will follow with similar legislation, and then we'll be somewhere near a solution.

Meanwhile the 'symbolic' tag is a fitting one. It's declaration of intent, if you like.

octal 18:13 04 Oct 05

Yes high-profile court cases are effective, but as most, if not all these emails come from countries that have bigger problems than worrying about a few phishing emails which is a long way down their "to do" list, I think it will be quite a few years before anything happens in these countries. In the mean time people are being swindled out of millions, I think education is a far better option and it would work out cheaper I'm sure.

Incidentally, I've never received a phishing email from the USA, or the UK come to that, or have I been lucky?

Forum Editor 19:10 04 Oct 05

Yes, you've been lucky.

As far as other countries having bigger problems to worry about, you're right, they have, but if they want to be an active and responsible part of the internet they'll need to get to grips with this kind of thing sooner, rather than later.

octal 19:55 04 Oct 05

I sincerely hope you are right, but I have an uncomfortable feeling it'll be a long time coming, in the mean time.......

I'll leave it there because I think we'll end up chasing our tails around.

Just as a matter of interest, do you think the Internet is really that meaningful to some of these countries that are in turmoil at the moment? The reason I ask is that I believe you might have a better grip than most people on these things and it might give a better understanding why you think they may take action sooner rather than later?

Sorry about the questions, I'm making it sound like an interrogation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…