petrol up again...

Seth Haniel 08:28 01 Apr 09
  Quickbeam 09:06 01 Apr 09

We wish.

birdface 09:10 01 Apr 09

The easiest way to raise Tax is to tax the fuel.Those that don't drive don't mind.And those that do drive just pay it and moan about it and pay up.And it is supposed to be going back up again in the budget.That will be a few more moans and groans.

newman35 09:15 01 Apr 09

"The Freight Transport Association (FTA) said the rise would "push businesses over the edge"."

They always say this, every time there's a price increase!
The thing that's pushing them over the edge will be the recession, as fewer lorries will be needed for fewer goods being bought.

In terms of the motorist, the current price at about 90p, a 2p increase cannot be that critical?

Quickbeam 09:22 01 Apr 09

"a 2p increase cannot be that critical?"
With HGVs returning between 8/10mpg, a 2p increase is most certainly critical.

newman35 09:29 01 Apr 09

But HGVs are businesses, so any cost increase will simply have to be passed on to the customers, private motorists don't have that luxury of being able to 'pass-on'.

As all HGVs will be passing on the increase, I don't see the problem - it's the customer who will have no choice, surely?

birdface 09:56 01 Apr 09

The problem is why should the motorist get hammered every time the government wants to raise extra capital.
Should they not just put up the income tax so that everyone pays and not just the motorists.
This has been argued that many times on here I cannot see any point in going through it all again.
The one fact that remains is the Government is discriminating against motorists and that is illegal.

newman35 10:18 01 Apr 09

Motorists are not a 'special' group, the vast majority of us are road users (in one way or another). We drive or we pay transport costs for our supplies.
As you, yourself, said, it's the easiest way to collect tax!

Stuartli 10:58 01 Apr 09

This is the fuel tax rise that was due to come into effect last October and was delayed for obvious reasons.

Seth Haniel 11:07 01 Apr 09

Taking an extra £1 off drivers each time they fill up their fuel tank is a £1 taken away from High Street and leisure spending that would help revive the economy."

FTA chief executive Theo de Pencier said: "The government has another bite of the cherry on 22 April. If they take that bite, they are as good as signing the death warrants for some businesses and putting yet more workers onto the dole queue.

"At a time when jobless figures are already sky-rocketing, the government needs to understand that such actions will only add to them."

Quickbeam 11:47 01 Apr 09

"As all HGVs will be passing on the increase, I don't see the problem - it's the customer who will have no choice, surely?"

If only it was as simple...
My taxi interest runs at around £1.10 per mile @ an average of 48mpg.
My transport interests run at around £1.80 per mile @ an average of 9mpg.

A fair transport rate to recoop the required investment should be around £5 per mile.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos