Is this person fit to be a Labour PM contender?

hssutton 17:55 07 Jun 10

"Mr McDonnell, MP for The Hayes and Harlington, said he would be glad to "go back to the 1980s and assassinate Thatcher"

I think it's disgraceful that a potential PM should come out with statements like this, maybe it's Mcdonnell that needs assasinating.

hssutton 17:56 07 Jun 10

Whoops! forgot the link click here

Quickbeam 18:11 07 Jun 10

"...drew loud applause from an audience of union members..."
Preaching to the converted.

He should remember that Thatcherism, whatever you thunk of it, had a government rum of 18 years because of what he wants to return to. And that the Thatcherite legacy gave Labour a 13 year government run. And that the National Union of Mineworkers, that he worked for, is hugely responsible for the the savage mines closure programme that followed the famous, but wholly pointless miners strike.

If anyone should be assassinated by the Terminator method, it should be Scargill... but that's opened another new argument;)

bremner 18:12 07 Jun 10

I have one thing in common with McDonnell.

Neither of us will ever be leader of the Labour Party.

Forum Editor 18:24 07 Jun 10

That's not acceptable in any context.

Quickbeam 18:41 07 Jun 10

Sorry FE. It was a bad taste comment towards the man that single handedly decimated the coal and support industries in my county.

johndrew 18:55 07 Jun 10

Will you also tell Mr McDonnell, MP for The Hayes and Harlington? He may get his brain to pay a little more attention to what his mouth is doing if someone does.

Colin 19:00 07 Jun 10

It's probably the only way he can get people to notice him.

wiz-king 19:40 07 Jun 10

A gift to the coalition.

Strawballs 21:59 07 Jun 10

The Thatcher government did that, they even dropped the Nottingham miners that supported them during the big strike.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos