The perfect witness..... too perfect?

donki 12:09 14 Jan 09

click here

Is it any wonder people are reluctant to come forward and provide evidence in court. Surely this story has been spun in some way. There is no way a Judge would throw a case out because a witness was too sure of the attacker.... is there?

tullie 12:18 14 Jan 09

Ludicrus isent it.

DippyGirl 12:21 14 Jan 09

<quote> Mrs Dawson, from Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, said she grabbed him and was face-to-face with him for about three seconds before another member of the gang punched her twice, breaking her nose.
</>
'There is a precedent that says if identification is based on a fleeting glimpse then it is not sufficient on its own.'

Three seconds is hardly "fleeting"

On the face of it this is a very poor decision

Clapton is God 12:49 14 Jan 09

"On the face of it ...."

An interesting choice of words. ;-)

DippyGirl 13:16 14 Jan 09

...damn missed a (sic)
Wish I was that witty !

Pine Man 13:23 14 Jan 09

Before we get too excited don't forget this is how it was reported in the Daily Mail, who have never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

donki 13:40 14 Jan 09

That is what I thought and hence said it could be spin, it has been reported in most of the daily rags, the Mail website was the first link I could find. It is the actual quote from the Judge himself that baffled me,

"Denise Dawson was a particularly impressive witness because she showed courage, clarity of thought and was undoubtedly honest. The jury may lend more weight to her evidence than the facts allow. You cannot be sure she got it right."

Is the point of a witness not to identify the accused? How can a judge decide that a sworn in witness should not be trusted.

Joe R 13:44 14 Jan 09

Could it be anything to do with Judges being instructed, to try and keep the number of people being sent to prison down?

Pine Man 13:45 14 Jan 09

In other papers a number of barristers have supported what the judge did and, in any event, it's difficult to draw any conclusions without ready the full report of what the judge said.

I actually do get the daily Mail but get annoyed, on occasions, at their style of reporting.

Legolas 13:50 14 Jan 09

On the surface it seems completely mad for a Judge to say that a witness was too good, surely this casts doubt on any witness who got a good look at the perpetrator, would it have been better if she had said she wasn't too sure? The Law truly is an ass.

ventanas 13:58 14 Jan 09

Time to sack an idiotic judge I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017