People in Winsford have barely heard of computers.

Forum Editor 17:01 07 Oct 05

According to a computer security firm based in the town. Nevertheless, the town has a huge number of computers infected by bots.

According to Symantec's Internet Security Threat Report released earlier this month, the small town of Winsford had five percent of the world's infected computers, second only behind London at eight percent and ahead of Seoul at four percent. Overall, the UK had about 1/3 of the one to two million infected computers worldwide.

Have we any forum members in Winsford, and if so, has your computer been infected?

wiz-king 17:16 07 Oct 05

The town population is listed as 33,000 so if they have 5% of 2,000,000 computers they must have about about three each that are infected! Assuming that only a small percentage are infected is the town sitting on a computer mountain? Send them to the salt mines.

Diemmess 18:16 07 Oct 05

Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics! - to which a friend added Graphs,

Pidder 18:47 07 Oct 05

Didn't think it could be Winsford, Somerset. We aren't as backward as that down here!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:56 07 Oct 05

may one enquire as to how Symantec knows this or am I being just a tad cynical as they have something to gain and this story maketh an interesting headline?

G

Forum Editor 19:28 07 Oct 05

As someone once famously said:-

"You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment."

Chegs ® 19:37 07 Oct 05

click here

"There are a lot of Entrepreneurs in Winsford, from independent shops, to French Polishing and Computer Consultants to excellent Mechanics and Private Physiotherapists. "

If that is true FE,the Computer Consultants cannot be so good. :-)

stalion 20:57 07 Oct 05

if they have that many infected pc's perhaps they should call it loseford

VoG II 22:11 07 Oct 05

Which Winsford? click here?

VoG II 22:12 07 Oct 05

That didn't work but apparently there is a Winsford in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall.
Presumably these are different.

Chegs ® 00:03 08 Oct 05

I used google earth to locate a Winsford,and then to find that little snippet I pasted above. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…