With people like this

g0slp 08:11 12 Oct 04

the battle against spam is going to be a long haul!

I've just been told by a work colleague (no, we're not in IT, thank goodness!) that he's been contacted by his ISP with the news that his machine had been hijacked by spammers, & had sent out about half a million spams overnight.

I could not believe it when he told me that he was quite proud of this!

He has no AV or any other protection on his 'puter, & he's on broadband with his machine running all the time!

Doubtless he'll eventually be shut down by his ISP, but until then...

I've argued with this silly so-and-so for months about AV etc, as have others, but (obviously) to no avail.

What really amazes me is that this person is well qualified, & quite high up in our business.

I suppose it takes all sorts...

Rant over (for now). I'm off to lie down in a darkened room!

Sethhaniel 09:20 12 Oct 04

couldn't bill him a £5 for each item of spam sent out by his computer ---
That would wipe the 'smarm' off his face

VoG II 09:42 12 Oct 04

Yes indeed click here

Sapins 10:27 12 Oct 04

Whilst people like your colleague, and we've all met them, deserve to be shut down permanently, only from computers, there is a case for warning/educating new users to take the appropriate steps to protect themselves, perhaps computer and/or software sellers could do something about this along the lines of a warning sticker, or a leaflet?

I know that a lot of people are ignorant about this and they are unaware of someone taking over their computer.

"The silence of the spams!"

Sapins 10:30 12 Oct 04

My abject apologies, I have only recently found out I can highlight and drag a user name to the title box and I have dragged the wrong one :-(

Regards and sorry again,

Sethhaniel 10:42 12 Oct 04

Thanks for sharing that 'drag and drop trick' I use to highlight then 'CTR C' and 'CTR V' ;)

Friday's Child 11:00 12 Oct 04

The big question is, if he was contacted by email was it really from his ISP?

A colleague of mine received an email (not from his ISP) saying that his machine had been used in this way and it was only the fact that he was running AV which alerted him to the fact there was a virus infected attachment and made him realise that this was some kind of con.

Since your colleague is not running AV etc. he could have received something similar and only now be sending out the spam.

g0slp 11:12 12 Oct 04

It was actually a phone call! (Quite probably because of that possibility...)

Thanks for your post - don't worry about it; i'm not!

Sapins 11:12 12 Oct 04

You're welcome,

Mr Mistoffelees 20:34 12 Oct 04

You can drag and drop any text from any post on the thread page you have open. Saves on the typing :-)

I agree that pc users like g0slp's example should be shut down. ISP's could share information on such people and only allow re-registration when they can show that they are now taking adequate precautions.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:39 12 Oct 04

After posting the above I then read this thread of yours :-)

Another little tip, but not mine this time;-(

Further credit to the FE!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…