Penalty Charge - or a Conviction?

Yimbo 22:57 25 Jan 14
Answered

I received a Penalty Charge for speeding - 52mph in a 40mph limit. No complaint about that! But I was told by the police officer involved that this was a Penalty Charge and NOT a conviction. It appears that insurers insist that it be classed as a conviction. Is this correct, or can I ignore it for insurance purposes?

BRYNIT 23:43 25 Jan 14

This may answer your questionCLICK HERE

rdave13 23:46 25 Jan 14

No , just pay the fine as soon as otherwise it goes up. It is not a conviction but on the spot fine to be paid promptly. No need to notify your insurance, con men.

Al94 01:36 26 Jan 14

Your fixed penalty charge would have been endorsable as it was for speeding. You must inform your insurance company. If as I presume it was just 3 points, it is unlikely to affect your premium, but you must tell them.

morddwyd 07:20 26 Jan 14

"but you must tell them."

Sound advice for anything to do with insurance companies.

They are only too happy to find an excuse not to pay.

No need for you to make it easier for them.

When in doubt, tell them.

bremner 08:29 26 Jan 14
Answer

Of course it is a motoring conviction. You have simply chosen to accept your guilt rather than electing a court hearing.

Failure to inform your insurance company will almost certainly be a breach of the conditions of your insurance and render you uninsured.

Yimbo 09:24 26 Jan 14

Thanks folks - - I guess the general consensus is - tell the insurers, which was my gut feeling on the matter!

Appreiciate your input!

Nontek 09:52 26 Jan 14

Simple answer ... Don't ignore the Speed Limits, they are there for a reason!!

I am a very experienced, but long-since retired, DSA ADI.

Pine Man 11:43 26 Jan 14

'Don't ignore the Speed Limits, they are there for a reason!!'

They certainly used to be there for a reason but not necessarily so nowadays.

A lot of local speed limits are now introduced for political reasons at cost to the locals with no benefits to road safety whatsoever!

spuds 12:52 26 Jan 14

"Don't ignore the Speed Limits, they are there for a reason!".

Just like the twenty four hour bus lanes with camera's that some council's seem intent in introducing, yet they do not run a twenty four hour bus public service.

Agree though with other contributor's, that you must notify your insurance company, and would also suggest that you keep records of having done so. Nothing like a sudden surprise being told that you are not covered, at the most unfortunate moment!.

oresome 13:05 26 Jan 14

I concur with others that if in doubt, inform the insurance company.

Remember that speed limits are sometimes set for reasons that may not be obvious.

Speeding traffic create a noise problem and also a pollution problem for instance.

Parts of the MI near Sheffield are to be restricted to 50mph solely due to pollution issues. (At the same time, the hard shoulder is being utilised to increase capacity!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…