Pearl Harbor 70th anniversary!

Autoschediastic 07:47 07 Dec 11

Just thought i'd mention this.. is there any sites with decent sized pics? IVe seen some pics over the years & the devastation was horrific, My mother went to the harbour memorial and went on the platform that floats above the uss arizona from the pics she took it was huge..god bless them all.

Link Here

Woolwell 11:19 07 Dec 11

In Google Images search for Pearl Harbor attack (note US spelling of harbour)

Quickbeam 12:28 07 Dec 11
  Bingalau 14:45 07 Dec 11

I think they are the same pictures That were supposedly found in an old Kodak Box camera, many years later. Someone sent them to me as an attachment in an e-mail and I think I still have them somewhere in the bowels of "My Documents". I will have a rummage through later to see if they are the same ones.

Aitchbee 17:19 07 Dec 11

I heard a little snippet on Radio4's TODAY, this morning. A 92 year old man, was talking about it.(He witnessed the attack).

Hitler thought Japan had won the WAR against AMERICA...but someone said, 'They (the Japanese) had just woken up a sleeping GIANT.

Too right. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were flattened.

Bingalau 19:37 07 Dec 11

If the Japs had got their huge submarine in to service which was being built, they would have flattened New York. Has anybody else heard about that particular submarine? I think someone told me it carried planes too.

Maybe I was just dreaming?

Woolwell 19:50 07 Dec 11
  morddwyd 19:55 07 Dec 11

Bingalau

You weren't dreaming.

There was a programme about it a few months ago. Huge big aircraft hangar "on deck" so to speak.

Absolutely fascinating, and frightening, just like so many of the German weapons which also didn't get the resources they needed.

Some of the beam riding missiles they had (but not in full production) didn't get into our own armoury until the 80s

Woolwell 19:57 07 Dec 11

What may not be known is that the Japanese Navy was modelled on the Royal Navy and that the Fleet Air Arm's successful attack on Taranto and the reports on it helped the Japanese how to plan the Pearl Harbour attack Battle of Taranto

Bingalau 21:13 07 Dec 11

I'm glad I wasn't dreaming. I will have a read of the item tomorrow as I am not feeling 100% at the moment, so I'm having an early night.

daz60 22:32 07 Dec 11

The Japanese learned quite quickly about the west's capability s,the Meiji era's forward thinking strategists were well attuned to western technology's benefits and it's limitations.

The Port Arthur attack, which decimated the Tsarist navy of 1905 was, probably, the blueprint for Pearl Harbour.

They took there military design from a few sources,no disrespect for their Bushido or Samurai history, and the decisive manner in there execution laid the framework for their dominance for the duration of their success.

Like Nazi Germany their R&D was severely restricted so their development of weaponry was disabled.

To the Victors gained the spoils.
Now there is a history.!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced