Is PCADVISOR out of Touch with the Real World?

heathdavid 18:52 26 Oct 04

When the magazine view beginners digital cameras at up to £300 and budget PCs at £851 to £1,410, is it time the writers looked out of the window. If they did, they would see that that 3 megapixel cameras start at £99 and a budget PC to the man in the street is one for under £500. Specifications have rised and prices have moved on but the magazine hasn't, which is why I did not renew my subscription.

oresome 19:03 26 Oct 04

Do they quote rrp, rather than street prices?

Lots of magazines do this. It might upset some advertisers if they did otherwise.

dan 11 19:14 26 Oct 04

Peter Clough brought up the same subject in "readers' writes" this month and it would seem that PCA have responded by saying they will drop the price points for camera's next month.

As for PC's were do you start, Time for example are offering a new complete unit for £269 click here

spikeychris 19:20 26 Oct 04

Linux OS. Interesting.

dan 11 19:34 26 Oct 04

I wonder if they charge for a recovery disk. lol

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:52 26 Oct 04

Touchy, touchy. personally I would not recommend any 3 mp camera that retails at £99, the lenses are dire, they are utterly grim and this is the reason cheaper magazines exist....but what would I know. If you want to buy a cheapo camera you do not need a magazine to nanny you and I'm sure that you are capable of making a decision based on price rather than *ahem* quality. people's expectations move on...for some.

G

oresome 20:09 26 Oct 04

Digital cameras seem to have a fairly short shelf life.

Marketed at a high price on release, especially if they are deemed to have something over the competition. The price then continues to fall until the camera is replaced with the next all singing / dancing model at which point the price plummets.

You can see the problem the magazine would have in keeping track of prices.

Dorsai 20:31 26 Oct 04

What can i say.

Yes i would like to buy a digicam for £50.00. and for it to be good, and work.

But i also realise that if i did spend £50.00, that the word 'dire' would probably be the understatement of the decade, and it would not work well, and would not be good.

So i look in the mag, and it recommends a 'beginners' one at £200-£300. SO i realise that i cant afford one worth getting.

SO i go out and buy a new roll of film for my 35mm SLR pentax, that i got as a birthday present 16 years ago, that at the time cost my dear Dad about £300, and that i really love, and know how to use, to the best of my limited ability to take pictures.

So- If you can't afford a sports car, dont complain if you are told they are fast & handle well, but all you can affort is family hatch back.

heathdavid 22:19 26 Oct 04

Soem Kodak and Olympus digital cameras are now discounted to £99. You can get perfectly decent beginners cameras under £150 and I am not talking about unknown name 1M pixel ones. I suggest that intermediate cameras would be from £150 to £400. If you loom at Pricerunner, you will get many big brand name 4Mp cameras at around £150 and for £400 you can get up to 6Mp and 10time optical zoom, but not in the same box!
On the PC front, once you get past £600, you are really only tinkering with upgrades like a DVD burner, better video card and biggee TFT screen which are all optional extras. The difference in performance in many of those tested in the different categories is marginal in real world situations. For practical purposes, £500 will get you a pretty good PC for everything except the top games spec or DVD burning. - In my humble opiniion :-)

David

iambeavis 22:26 26 Oct 04

A camera, be it a 6M digital or a SLR loaded with high resolution film, is only as good as the piece of glass on the front - £99 doesn't buy you much in the way of quality optics.

heathdavid 06:24 27 Oct 04

I am not sure that Kodak would agree with you. I was not suggesting that £99 would buy a semi professional camera but one for a beginner which is what the PCADVISOR category is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…