PCA top news

namtas 11:49 25 Feb 07

I am somewhat surprised to see PCA carrying the below headed article in its online news. No doubt it is news, but given the policing that the forum runs regarding anything to do with MS license infringements it does seem a little strange to see not just the referral but the method also. Do you think a mistake has been made perhaps?

Windows Vista’s money-off loophole
Anyone can use an 'upgrade' version of Vista

Zero G 13:12 25 Feb 07

Not really, it's news that is already out their & can be gleaned off the net if you look hard enough!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 25 Feb 07

How can it be an infringement when its built into Vista?

Forum Editor 14:24 25 Feb 07

for some time, we're giving away no secrets.

namtas 15:38 25 Feb 07

It just seemed out of place, given that I have always viewed this forum as one having what might be described as almost a fanatical allegiance to protect software abuse.
I would have thought that spreading the word about an open method that violates the terms of a user agreement and which provides the perpetrator with a financial gain as a result would require careful consideration. Equally if that is not an infringement of the license agreement then tells me what is? And surely whether the information is available or not on the net is irrelevant, we can find tips and tricks to obtain free software illegally on the net but as above, we do not openly advertise it. With respect I did not say that PCA were giving away secrets, but they are surely spreading the secret. What I will say is that this was something that I had not been aware of before reading the article.

anskyber 17:46 25 Feb 07

A conspiracy theorist I am not. On this occasion it would not surprise me if the "double install" routine was well known to MS at the time they went to Vista release.

The reason I think that is as a last resort people who have experienced upgrade problems will want to at least have the chance of Vista running rather than having a very expensive coaster for their table. The fallback for MS given that MS advise strongly to back up files before an upgrade is to advise on the clean install route through "double install".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5