PCA computer review test results

TOPCAT® 01:21 14 Feb 05

How about listing the operational power use of these systems and their dBA rating too? Most of the white goods now are energy and efficiency rated, so it could be handy for some buyers to know these figures before purchase.

Wouldn't think it would cost much to do this and who knows, PCA could be starting a trend here with other publications joining in. ;o) TC.

picklsey 03:51 14 Feb 05

sounds like a good idea.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:04 14 Feb 05

click here indicates that it only costs a tiny amount per annum to run a computer. As most desktop computers tend to use similar amounts of leccy I would assume it would be pointless mulling over power consumption unless you have a couple of Krays in the cellar.

I also feel that the minor variances in consumption are hardly likely to influence anyone when they arrive at parting with £500+ for a new rig.

G

recap 08:55 14 Feb 05

I have been [over the past couple of months] conduction research into how much power consumption we use here at work. My findings have certainly opened my eyes as to how much C02 emisions a small organisation like ourselves uses. Over this period the C02 emisions we have used, are over 45 tonnes.

I think a guide as to how much power each piece of equipment uses would be a good idea.

It's Me 13:56 14 Feb 05

It might seem pointless to some, and whilst such information might not have much influence on what to buy, it would be an advertised element, and should, in the natural way of things, produce efforts to increase the efficiency. There is nothing like bad sounding info for getting something done to improve it.

TOPCAT® 14:30 14 Feb 05

The Krays? Oh, brother, you're DEAD right there! They certainly used a lot of power. :o))

Your link is quite interesting and covers many aspects of energy savings. Reading further, it also tries to dispel many long-held myths, by some, on operating a computer. Unfortunately, as it's an American website, naturally the energy costs portrayed do not reflect the higher UK prices.

What tends to concern me is the incessant drive for faster, more power-hungry components to put in to consumer products of every type. As a consequence, all will incur gradually rising energy costs which will have to be met by home users and business alike. Will Moore's Law ever run out of steam? TC.

ade.h 23:03 14 Feb 05

Good point about the dBA levels; that would be very handy as they can vary quite a lot. Power consumption is, I suppose, pretty similar from one PC to the next.

Forum Editor 00:00 15 Feb 05

the energy conservationist/ecologically responsible part - wants to agree with you TC, but the realist/technophobe/priority-balancing part tends to prevail - I think it would be a pointless exercise.

"Normal" computers consume very little in the way of energy resources, and are so silent, relatively speaking, that there would be no real advantage to either magazine or reader. People are used to working and relaxing with far higher ambient noise levels than are generated by computers, and you only have to walk down any street in britain after dark to see just how energy-concious most of us are - the combined wattage of the halogen security lights, porch lights, driveway lights, and the lights on in empty rooms would be more than sufficient to run all the computers in the country for decades.

We would all be far better off if we could manage to survive without having our lives illuminated in quite such a flamboyant fashion. Each time I sit through the final approach into Heathrow airport at night - and I must have done it hundreds of times by now - I'm amazed at the level of light generated by London. All the motorway approaches are lit for mile after mile, and dozens of square miles are lit up like the milky way with millions of twinkling lights of one kind or another. Every major city in the world is the same, and I imagine that computers are about the smallest power consumers in a modern society's electronic league table.

Dorsai 19:11 16 Feb 05

I have to agree FE, How may 1000's of miles of Uk streets are lit over night when no one is using them.....

PIR sensors have been around for ages, how long before they are fitted to street lights? Then the lights only come on when there is someone to light them?

Like many others i leave my PC on 24/7. But i always turn the lights off in my flat when not in the room or at work. There is even a sign on the front door reminding the GF to 'please remember to turn the lights off'. She has never paid a lekky bill in her life, so it does not ocure to her to turn the lights off when she goes to work after me....

sattman 20:10 16 Feb 05

Dorsai, Street lights have a sensor but it is a light sensor unfortunately street lights are different from ordinary lamps that you would find in your home or garden. They are much more efficient to run than filament lamps but you can not have them switching instantly, they need time to warm up before the get to full illumination.

zanwalk 20:51 19 Feb 05

This is one of the rare occasions when I disagree with the FE, I think that dBA levels particularly would make for interesting comparisons. In my experience they can vary quite considerably and undoubtedly affect us as we work, either consciously or subconciously.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac