PCA Article Page 120.

ventanas 21:52 12 Oct 04

I just wondered if anyone who has read this has bothered to follow it up and downloaded Creature House Expression. I did it yesterday and still cannot believe that Microsoft are just giving this (previuosly expensive) program away. Certain criteria are mentioned concerning eligibilty, and this does give me some concern about the licence. But no checks are made and the programs works fine. I've been wanting a copy of this since its first release in 1997.

Pesala 23:21 12 Oct 04

I remember when Snapgrafx was given away for free. It was an excellent object-based vector flow-charting package. I couldn't believe how such a good product could be free, but it was all a part of development plans for a commercial package. I'm not even sure if that ever made it to being a succesful product.

I've just come from the Serif Forum. PP10 has just been released. People are whinging because they are charging £99.99 for the full package and £49.99 for the upgrade. Serif used to practically give their stuff away. £9.95 plust P&P was all one usually paid.

Now they have a market share, it would be commercial suicide to keep selling what is a sophisticated product for those prices. £100 is still a lot cheaper than InDesign or Quark Express.

Make hay while the sun shines, and make bread when it's raining.

picklsey 07:03 13 Oct 04

excuse my ignorance but what is it and what does it do.sorry never heard of it.

ventanas 08:21 13 Oct 04

PP10 already. Its not that long that v9 was released. (I'm on v8 and think I will stay there). As you say though, the offers seem to have dried up.

picksley. Its a drawing program that combines both pixels and vectors in a unique way.

Sethhaniel 09:16 13 Oct 04

click here
Supposed to be for existing users? but downloading as we speak - though you do need to have a 'Microsoft .Net' account. :)

Pesala 13:38 13 Oct 04

It seems that Expression 3 is a beta version, so the idea is that we get to test it for free, and Microsoft get some feedback on their program.

I can see that it could be a powerful program in the hands of a graphic artist. There are dozens of predefined line stroke styles, which combine the benefits of bitmap and vector programs. None of the sample graphics impressed me though, and the program's interface would be daunting to an inexperienced PC user.

I can do all the drawing that I need in Page Plus 9 or Draw Plus 4, and rarely use Corel Draw 9.0 or Corel Photopaint. I won't be keeping Expression installed for long, but others may find it useful. It is not being given away because it is rubbish. The idea is to get people to use it and talk about it. No doubt it will be a $200 retail package by some time in the New Year, so if creative drawing is your forté, download it and take it for a trial run.

Sethhaniel 13:59 13 Oct 04

with other unused graphics programs - while I do everything in 'Paint Shop Pro'

Forum Editor 18:30 13 Oct 04

and I advise anyone who's interested to snap it up before its free status changes - which it will.

Mozarella 22:07 17 Oct 04

Forum Editor, give us a link please, I`m a novice

kev.Ifty 22:20 17 Oct 04

click here

As per Sethhaniel..above

;-)

Kev.

Mozarella 22:44 17 Oct 04

kev.Ifty many thanks mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…