PC World

morddwyd 10:05 13 Feb 10

No, not a complaint, just an observation.

My local branch now has a notice up saying they will be closing shortly and reopening in, i.e. inside, the Curry's superstore a couple of hundred yards away.

Is this just a local thing or another step in DSG's rationalisation programme?

May we eventually see the end of either PCW or Curry's as separate entities?

sunnystaines 10:10 13 Feb 10

reverting back to dixons perhaps

Awshum 10:15 13 Feb 10

both sell the same things, well TVs and Computers and everyone knows they are owned by DSG... why pay rent/upkeep/staff for two buildings?

The same can be said of Mr Green. In our local shopping mall burtons and dorothy perkin have moved into BHS.

Forum Editor 10:21 13 Feb 10

when you can pay overheads on one, and turn over just as much, if not more product?

morddwyd 10:34 13 Feb 10

Wasn't wondering if it was good business sense, which it obviously is, or looking for a lesson in economics, just whether it is happening elsewhere, and opinions as to whether one or the other will eventually disappear.

Quickbeam 11:07 13 Feb 10

Our local Currys was refitted in the autumn giving them much more sales space than the old one. But we still have a PC world and a Comet on the same row of retail units.

Comet refitted in the new year, so they must have lost out a lot on sales over Christmas for them to do a major refit immediately in the new year.

Hercule Marple 11:15 13 Feb 10

Nope, all three local retail parks still have separate PC World and Currys stores. Two of the PC Worlds now have a fair amount of floor spce devoted to tv sets, though.

Awshum 11:16 13 Feb 10

I haven't seen amything announced so it may be a trial in your area. If it proves successful they will probably do it in more areas (like mine) where they have a huge PCW and Currys beside each other.

Both stores in my area face competition from a huge Tesco, Argos, Lazer and Harvey Norman all within a stone throw of each other.

The DSG ones are nearly always empty.

Hercule Marple 11:27 13 Feb 10

I'm just a browser there myself. Haven't bought anything from PC World for years. I like to have a quick gander at the graphics cards and that occasionally, to see how much they're charging for them.

Awshum 11:39 13 Feb 10

I only use them because of their price matching.

Last examples were Tesco selling PS3 games at £16, Currys next door priced at £39.99. Asked Currys to price match and got them for £13.60 which equates to the difference plus 10%.

They were rude to me when I asked in Currys but it's their advertised policy and they're only games, so I won't need to return. (I had a bad experience returning an electrical item and wouldn't buy again)

Rudeness set aside, I wouldn't hesitate ask again for a price match if the opportunity came up.

bremner 12:14 13 Feb 10

DSG are soon going to have their first proper competition in years when Best Buy starts opening its stores.

Together with the recession perhaps this has pushed DSG into starting to rationalise its Uk operations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5