PC World

amonra 15:12 23 Mar 06

Quote from today's Daily Telegraph :-

PC World has abolished sales commisions across its chain of stores after it found that it could make more money by rewarding staff to SERVE CUSTOMERS PROPERLY rather than to clinch a quick sale.

My my, have they realised that service matters ??

surfmonkey #:@} 15:19 23 Mar 06

oh now aint that nice last time i was in that store to buy a pc link cable which they did not have shame i got that anoying hard sell that a wifi network would be allot better , now why would i want one of them if all i want to do is transfer the odd file from pc tp pc i think i will stick with maplins.

SG Atlantis® 15:28 23 Mar 06

Getting rid of commision will make the majority of their staff less interested. Why should I bother???? There's nothing in it for me.

I bought my computer from my local store last november and there's only one guy I'll deal with when I go in. Very helpful and friendly, knows his stuff; all the rest are wasters (inc the manager!!) and I expect little from them.

Dizzy Bob 16:22 23 Mar 06

This has been the case since November last year. In fact some PCW stores have been running this system for about 2 years.

DB

MichelleC 16:43 23 Mar 06

What next? Maybe other firms will follow suit by using common sense. We may even end up having call centres closer to the UK than 4,000 miles away.

pc_sausage 16:58 23 Mar 06

"Getting rid of commision will make the majority of their staff less interested. "

I've found that their staff couldn't be less interested already. Whenever I go to PCW, all the staff seem to be hiding somewhere; whereas at Dixons or Comet they're like vultures.

DrScott 18:58 23 Mar 06

I'd rather have salaried help though - I remember buying a portable casette player (so this is a few years ago) at Dixons and the chap tried to sell me one that was £10 more expensive saying it was better. In fact it just had 3 more radio presets, which I said to him, and he then quietened down a bit. Essentially he had no clue about the actually quality of the machine, only that it cost more.

I always used to say if you go into Dixons or PCW expect to pay £50 - £100 more than you meant to.

The main problem is that good salaried help is quite expensive, hence the hiding and bored faces of the staff when I wander in.

dmc727 19:22 23 Mar 06

I’ve always considered PC World a supermarket concept. Stacked shelves and a place you go knowing what you want provided the price is right.

Following this forum for instance, not forgetting the magazines, provides better advice than from someone selling with such vested interest.

keith-236134 20:37 23 Mar 06

I've had 2 bad experiences with pc world staff, thick or what, perhaps i will give another chance.

SG Atlantis® 20:50 23 Mar 06

I bought my machine off them because it was the most economical solution as I'm in NI and my choices are somewhat limited. The machine has been great, crashed only once in 4 months of intense hard use and it was buggy mouse software (logitech mx518) that caused it.

I once applied for a job in a PCW, the store manager was a pompous prat that argued me down on every response I made. Felt like he mocking me to inflate his ego or something.

stalion 20:50 23 Mar 06

upwards and forwards can only be betterfor the customer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant