PC Tools

Condom 22:12 09 Oct 09

I finished reading the free anti virus article in todays Dec magazine (Merry XXXX folks) and was a little surprised to see that PC Tools had taken such a hammering over their free anti virus product. I thought it is well known that the anti virus program was a stand alone one and if you wished malware etc you added in the then free Spyware Doctor and together they did the job.

I've run both PC Tools Programs for about 2 years and recently ran a couple of off site tests from leading paying programs (including Symantec) and neither found anything on my PC which I found pleasing. Unfortunately an update this week from PC Tools turned Spyware Doctor from a free program to a paying one and so I've taken both off as anti virus on its own is no good.

I've downloaded the new free Microsoft program which became available this week and it seems to be working great. Here's hoping it stays that way and I will make sure it has a thorough testing before I do my clean Win 7 install.

spuds 21:07 10 Oct 09

Like most of these products, there is usually a catch about 'free'. I find that quite a number of the previous well recommended have gone from 'free for personal use only' to now a subscription charge.

So it now looks like a case of 'you pay for what you get' ;o)

peter99co 21:22 11 Oct 09

Can we rely on Microsoft Security Essentials to do the job?

rdave13 21:44 11 Oct 09

"Can we rely on Microsoft Security Essentials to do the job?"
Only way to find out is to try it yourself...

Condom 03:48 13 Oct 09

Well so far it seems to be working ever so well. Its quiet and unobtrusive and picked up a few things when I plugged in a couple of old usb storage devices which I haven't used in years. (It was a shock to see they were only 76 GB).

My PC seems to be flying along (well hobbling quicker than usual) so I have for once no complaints. I'm also trying a few other things out before I go for a clean Win 7 install at the end of the month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple