PC Magazine reviews on Computers.

def90csw 09:55 06 Oct 06

So when a magazine like pc review is thinking of writing a review on a pc that they are testing do the pc makers know its from a certain magazine. Or do you order one like the rest of us?

Cymro. 10:21 06 Oct 06

Car manufacturers know when someone road tests one of their cars so I always used to wonder if they checked out the car first, same applies to computers I suppose, do the makers check them first?

Diodorus Siculus 11:15 06 Oct 06

As far as I am aware, PC suppliers know where the machine is going when it is being sent for review and hence will make their best efforts to have a working PC delivered.
A couple of years ago PCPro did a test by having PCs and peripherals delivered to private addresses and workplaces in order to simulate the real world experience and it turned out to be pretty much on a par with what their readers had said. A few eliveries were missed, a few were dead on arrival, some wrong components came and so forth.

Nonetheless, on the whole the overall process from ordering to getting the machines up and running seemed to be that most "consumers" got a good deal and things worked out in the end.

anskyber 11:30 06 Oct 06

Have read of this if you have a spare minute or two. click here

def90csw 14:36 06 Oct 06

My reasoning behind it and Diodorus Siculus has semi-answered it would be good to a mesh pc go to an unknown address so the pcadvisor reviewer could see how the average Mesh customer gets treated, as mesh seem to be geeting a few posts at the moment.

Totally-braindead 18:50 06 Oct 06

An excellent idea def90csw. It would make a really interesting article. However to be even handed about it and to see what happens in general you would need to order more than one to a private address. I would reckon a minimum of ten and also to be fair you should really look at more than one company.

Two friends of mine have asked my advice this year specifically about Mesh PCs and I told them that personally I couldn't recommend them and showed them some of the postings. One bought a PC from PC World and the other got one from Dell, both are happy.

Totally-braindead 18:53 06 Oct 06

Should have also said that, although I think its an excellent idea I do think the costs would be prohibitive. You could order one PC but what if its 100% perfect and delivered exactly when its meant to be as I'm sure lots of them are. Thats one of the reasons I think they would need to order a few to get a cross section.

anskyber 19:14 06 Oct 06

Always interesting these sorts of debates. A visit to the library will reveal the latest Which Computing magazine. Mesh scored 68% for desktops not requiring a repair since Jan 2003. E-machines, Dell and Apple scored the highest at 86% Yet oddly only 24% of people would recommend E-machines to a friend.

Mesh continue to get excellent reviews in PC type magazines and I am sure they are truly good if you are one of the 68%. I cannot comment on the Mesh support/buying experience because I have not bought a Mesh. The WM report scored them as 14% of persons being satisfied with support. Others did not fair so much better with very many in the 20s and 30s of %

If and a big if the Which findings are correct then Mesh seem to need to focus on their quality control to bring reliability up and bring down the pressure on their support services.

Forum Editor 20:14 06 Oct 06

and there are several reasons for that:-

1. It would be inordinately expensive to buy computers from all the manufacturers on a regular basis.

2. There's no reason to do it - we wouldn't achieve anything.

3. We review computers, not the companies which make them.

Diodorus Siculus has hit the nail on the head with regard to 'secret' purchases.

We don't believe that posing as a member of the public and buying the odd computer would teach us anything, except what happened on one specific occasion with one specific manufacturer. Perhaps everything would go without a hitch, as the vast majority of computer purchases do - what would that tell us about a company's customer service performance? It would tell us that sometimes things go wrong, but mostly they go right. We can get that information from the threads in Consumerwatch.

I understand why some of you are frustrated by what might appear as an unsympathetic response to ideas like this, but please try to understand that we know perfectly well that things go wrong sometimes, and we know that it's extremely annoying when a supplier appears to provide you with a less-than perfect customer service. Our approach is to try to help when this happens, and to invite suppliers to engage with their customers here, in the forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…