PC magazine responses to severe CC shortcomings?

Probabilitydrive 10:34 03 May 07

A follow up to BBS'C watchdog program about the shortcomings of MESH computers.

To what degree would you like to see PC magazines reflect criticisms regarding lacking/unacceptable customer service in their reviews?

What methods do you think are effective/appropriate for a magazine to implement, as to encourage a PC manufacturer improving their services?

How would you like to see a magazine reacting, if a system manufacturer 'talks the talk' but persistently not 'walks the walk'?

Probabilitydrive 10:34 03 May 07

BBS'S = BBC's

Kate B 11:06 03 May 07

it's very difficult to quantify customer service in a review, as it's not something you can test in lab conditions as you can with benchmarking. Remember that for every dozen unhappy Mesh customers who post here, there are hundreds of perfectly happy ones, so the picture is distorted. I think Watchdog said that Mesh makes some 50,000 computers a year. That's nearly 1,000 a week. How many complaints a week do we see about Mesh? Fewer than one, I'd suspect.

Probabilitydrive 11:17 03 May 07

I do agree, quantifying customer service in a review is an ungrateful and ultimately not subjective task. However, as the FE pointed out in 'Customer watch' Dell sell 3 million units and don't end up in watchdog. Mesh sell 50,000 and issues regarding customer service seem to crop up time and time again in this forum.

I'm just interested how a magazine should react to numerous threads and now even a slight 'slap on the hand' in the media?

Kate B 11:28 03 May 07

Hm, even that's a tricky comparison. If Mesh makes 1,000 computers a week and there is one unhappy customer a week, that's 0.1 per cent, which is tiny. Dell does crop up in forums, it's not perfect - you'd have to do a similar calculation for a fair comparison.

Colin 13:07 03 May 07

As Kate B says, customer service, good or bad, is very difficult to quantify. I usually use Air France when flying long haul, (only because they are usually the cheapest), and have never had a problem with them. But if you look at click here you’d never use them. It has to be put into context. If Mesh were that bad, they would be out of business. Also, I take most things Watchdog report on with a pinch of salt. Having said that, I’m besotted with Julia Bradbury, so anything she says is true!

wee eddie 13:14 03 May 07

The vast proportion of their sales are to Businesses which have a totally separate type of Service arrangement.

You would not see those customers here even if hell froze over.

The Brigadier 13:36 03 May 07

May be as a journalist you see it differently, but as a consumer who has been fobbed off with every excuse by Mesh not to honour an on-site warranty but to RTB it, i as others see it differently!

Last night Mesh got what most of us 'consumers' who have used their customers service knew already, that mesh provide a 2nd rate service to customers, it does not matter if it's a small number, they still provide a poor service.

It's a pity that no other publication did not run with the story before hand, but then those who get revenue from mesh through advertising probably did not want to loose the mesh account! to rub it in charge 60p a minute peak & £1 per minute off peak for customer support.

The Brigadier 13:38 03 May 07

End sentence was about the charging for customer support & that mesh charge '60p a minute peak & £1 per minute off peak for customer support'

Kate B 13:45 03 May 07

Yes. I see it more dispassionately than you do. Which is precisely what one needs as a journalist. And to imply that advertising revenue affects editorial independence is completely out of order. It doesn't. I suggest you withdraw that remark as it's defamatory.

johndrew 14:10 03 May 07

Interestingly, Mesh, Evesham and several other companies all produce units of a similar type and probably in not greatly dissimilar numbers.

When I was in the market for my very first PC (the one I have now) a couple of years ago I asked many people of there opinions of various suppliers and read a range of PC magazines and other articles to try and identify a `good` supplier.

During this process there were three supplier names that came up with almost boring regularity as those that journalists, in the periodicals, and people I spoke with considered the least reliable. One of these was Mesh. I should add that the other two raised have since gone out of business so my enquiries were not exactly unwarranted.

Needless to say that as a result I did not go to Mesh or either of the other poorly rated suppliers and am reasonably happy with that which I purchased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017