PC Advisor mobile site query

Belatucadrus 16:36 22 Feb 15
Answered

Been out for a week with Internet on Android Tablet via Fon & WiFi hotspots. Tried to access PCAdvisor only to find it tortuously slow, worse than Dial up. It seemed to me that all the sponsored links and banner adds just killed it dead. Now I know that PCA needs the income but on last weeks experience the balance is off with the Mobile site being pretty much unusable.

Or is it just me and has anybody been using it successfully ?

mart7 17:49 22 Feb 15

Using a windows 8.1 mobile works fine just have the usual where the page jumps up to accomodate the ads,think this was mentioned onhere somewhere

bremner 19:52 22 Feb 15

The site has always been very poor on an iPad.

I have now got Adblock browser and the site is now more accessible.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 22 Feb 15

B... awful on an Android phone or pad even when using chrome and ad blockers.

simonjary 06:46 23 Feb 15

Hope any issues will be sorted when we move to responsive design in next couple of months. Mobile site not too sluggish on my iPhone, though.

Quickbeam 08:51 23 Feb 15

I've rarely used the mobile site for over two years because of the slow loading problem.

I'm glad to hear that it's going to be addressed SJ, but when you say "Mobile site not too sluggish on my...", that is in effect the long denied admission of an unacceptably slow mobile tech site!

H Dresser. 11:23 23 Feb 15

I find it ( PCA site ) very poor on my windows 8.1 mobile phone. It has got to a point I rarely visit the site on it. the only thing that works reasonably well is my desktop machine with javascript blocked for the site.

Flak999 13:37 23 Feb 15

Very poor on Iphone 6 and ipad air, to the point where it's unusable without using adblock. This helps but it's not a complete answer, on my desktop machine I use Chrome with adblock flashblock and ghostery and this does the job properly.

It's strange but pcadvisor is the only site that requires all three of these adblocking add ons to perform acceptably.

Belatucadrus 18:35 23 Feb 15

Just tried it using Ghostery Privacy browser and the difference is chalk and cheese, all of a sudden it's usable. Kill all the ads and sponsored links and it works. As I said I know PCA needs the income to pay for the site but when the ads load the system so badly that users lose the will to live and sod off elsewhere then something needs a major rethink. Hope the upcoming responsive design will address this.

H Dresser. 19:26 23 Feb 15

When will it resonate with the over the top advertisers that there intrusive advertisements are counter productive as more and more site visitors block these adverts. This not only hits the large flashing ones but also the small reasonable ones.

So all we see are pages free of all advertisements. I used to click on the odd advert every now and then to help the site. Now I see none of them because of those who hogg the PCA site.

Al94 20:09 24 Feb 15

Bloody annoying self starting loud ads back on mobile site tonight - just not on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…