PC advisor Cover Disk OS compatibility annoyance

SimFlyer 17:24 15 Nov 08

Just bought the latest PC advisor issue with a couple of programs that say they will run on a certain OS, but don't. I'm not sure what section to put this in, because it's not really a help topic, anyway....

Paragon Software Disk Wiper 7.0 SE - PC adviser cover disk tells me "System requirements
1GHz Pentium PC; Windows 2000/XP/Vista; 16MB RAM;
30MB hard-disk space"
I install this software on my Vista Laptop, then to be confronted with the message "Operating system unknown", looking on the manufacturers Website they state this Software is NOT Compatible with Vista.

Secondly, on this Issues cover disk is PC Tools Internet Security and it says "System requirements
Windows 2000/XP: 300MHz processor; 256MB RAM
Windows Vista Home Basic: 1GHz processor; 512MB RAM
Windows Vista (all other versions): 1GHz processor; 1GB RAM
Plus: 150MB hard-disk space; Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher"
It says "all other Vista versions, but PC Tools Internet security turns out to be in incompatible with Vista 64Bit, which I am running on my desktop. PC Advisor really needed to state 32Bit compatible only, but they didn't.

I think PC Advisor really need to be more accurate in the System requirements they state on their cover disk!

Anyone else experienced such issues?...discuss

Forum Editor 17:29 15 Nov 08

to your complaint. I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he can.

pj123 18:00 15 Nov 08

I won't ever experience any of these issues because I do not install anything off the cover disk.

dagbladet 21:49 15 Nov 08

I won't ever experience an archery related injury because I do not take part in archery.

Apologies if this adds nothing constructive to the thread.

Forum Editor 23:26 15 Nov 08

I award you this week's pointless remark prize.

Seth Haniel 15:04 16 Nov 08

I know people who do take part in archery -and most people injured are the people not involved who get in the way of the arrows - watch out...

well over 90% of each cover disk contents are of no use to me as my home PC is not connected to the internet - so most installations don't get past the first screen - and if they do they won't run as you need code from internet for them to be recognised

RickyC :-) 11:10 17 Nov 08

Hi SimFlyer,

Thanks for your posting. Regarding PC Tools Internet Security 2009, I apologise for not making it implicitly clear that this application currently only runs on 32-bit versions of Vista. I've now updated the system requirements as follows:
Windows 2000/XP: 300MHz processor; 256MB RAM
Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit): 1GHz processor; 512MB RAM
Windows Vista (other 32-bit versions): 1GHz processor; 1GB RAM
Plus: 150MB hard-disk space; Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher

I'm just checking the details of Paragon Disk Wiper 7.0 SE, and will post a response here shortly.

It's possible that I failed to update the system requirements correctly - and if this is the case I apologise.

kind regards

Richard
Software Editor

RickyC :-) 14:49 17 Nov 08

Please accept my apologies, the system requirements were indeed incorrect for Disk Wiper 7.0 SE. Correct details are as follows:

- Operating systems: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
- Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher
- Intel Pentium CPU or its equivalent, with 300 MHz processor clock speed
- 128 MB of RAM
- Hard disk drive with 40 MB of available space
- SVGA video adapter and monitor
- Mouse

Please also note that the system requirements for OpenOffice.org 3.0 are in fact the requirements for v2.4. OpenOffice.org 3.0 does not run on Windows 98 SE.

kind regards, and apologies again

Richard
Software Editor

SimFlyer 22:50 17 Nov 08

Thankyou for your reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…