PC ADVISOR

stank 18:29 29 Jul 05

I suspected that my Internet Explorer browser might become corrupted so I attempted to re-install it from an old PC Advisor disc. This took me to the PC Advisor web site where I was asked to register. OK. I tried to download a copy of Internet Explorer and was told that wasn't available. Now I can't access my old copy of Internet Explorer because PC Advisor has taken over the Internet Explorer desktop icon and I can't download a new copy so I have no access to Internet Explorer. I've tried to e mail them but all I get is an automated response saying they don't solve there own problems.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

spikeychris 18:42 29 Jul 05

You don't say what version of Windows you are running or what version of IE. If you are using XP and IE6 then from run type the below (just copy and paste) hit enter. This will reinstall IE6. You might need your XP disk.

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%windir%\Inf\ie.inf

Forum Editor 18:47 29 Jul 05

What do you mean by "PC Advisor has taken over the Internet Explorer desktop icon"?

Why did you suspect that Internet Explorer browser might become corrupted - was it corrupted or not?

If you're running WindowsXP why don't you use the system restore facility to roll the computer back to a previous stable state?

Who did you email at the magazine?

VoG II 19:01 29 Jul 05
  stank 19:49 29 Jul 05

I forgot about "system restore". I'm a user, not an expert. I still don't understand clicking my Internet explorer icon opened the PC Advisor page, But I've returned to a better time.
Thanks

spikeychris 20:16 29 Jul 05

"I'm a user, not an expert" Wake up call.

justme 21:44 29 Jul 05

Seems to me that all that had happened to your internet explorer was that somehow you had managed to set the PCA page as your home page. This could have been easily rectified if you had just told the forum of your problem.

As for "returning to a better time", well that's a matter of opinion.

Forum Editor 00:04 30 Jul 05

We're all users here - it's just that some of us have become more familiar with these problems over the years. I'm pleased that all is well again. I suggest that you make sure your machine is running properly over the next 24 hours, and then create a special restore point of your own, so you know where to restore to, should things act up again in the near future.

Your computer will create a restore point shortly anyway, but it will simply have a date-stamp, and when you do one yourself you can give it a memorable name - 'IE restore' for instance.

Andybear 11:21 31 Jul 05

"I'm a user, not an expert."

I'm also a user and not an expert but have used System Restore on more than one occasion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…