Paypal Fraudulent email

Al94 17:54 27 Aug 07

I have just received an email purporting to originate from Paypal advising a credit to my account which I wasn't expecting and giving a link to see details. This link click here appears not to be a genuine paypal link from the address and I suspect anyone who enters their details will soon have problems. I have emailed Paypal, it may be a well known scam but personally haven't seen this before. My Paypal account shows no such transaction - posted just as a caution to others.

skidzy 23:03 27 Aug 07

Ive tried the link in Firefox/IE/IEtab and will not load.

Delete the email permantly !!

Si_L 00:34 28 Aug 07

There is a new thread on phishing emails every few days it seems.

Not complaining, the more people that know, the less phishing is going to work.

spuds 13:14 28 Aug 07

" the more people that know, the less phishing is going to work".
Don't you believe that, were there is money to be made, or very limited regulations, then phishing will still be a problem.

A194, you did right by checking you account, then binning the offending email. At once upon a time, dodgy PayPal emails to the UK were easily noticeable due to their USA sender address. Now this is getting more difficult with PayPals move to Luxembourg.

Si_L 13:47 28 Aug 07

Phishing would not be a problem if everybody knew about it. If everyone just deleted a phishing email when they got it, it couldn't possibly work, it relies on the minority who aren't careful enough to open them.

So therefore, the more people who know, the less phishing attacks work.

wee eddie 14:00 28 Aug 07

As are the Sydney Car Company.

I have been told that even opening them can alert the Sender to the fact that you are a live address.

techie4me 17:38 28 Aug 07

'I have been told that even opening them can alert the Sender to the fact that you are a live address.'
No thats just a myth i think.

laurie53 17:41 28 Aug 07

Is it?

spuds 19:24 28 Aug 07

" No thats just a myth i think". Not a myth if it as been tagged, and most serious phishers tag their emails.

wee eddie 20:59 28 Aug 07

any giveaways to alert one to the possibility that an e-mail has been tagged?

wee eddie 21:00 28 Aug 07

any giveaways to alert one to the possibility that an e-mail has been tagged?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac