Paying for downloaded music.

Smegs 00:53 14 Jul 04

If it's illegal to make a copy of a music disk that you have bought, to say, listen to the copied disk in your car. What is the point of going to the sites to pay for the music to burn to CD, when it's actually illegal to do this??

Is this another way of trying to get money from us, or have I got this all wrong. Shaun

Daz35 14:23 14 Jul 04

I think you'll find on most legal download sites that it specifies what you can do with the music once you've downloaded it.

I can't remember exactly which site does what, but it's all to do with DRM (digital rights management).

If you read the FAQ on each site, it will say you can burn 2 copies of a CD, have unlimited use to transfer it onto an Mp3 player and also some will let you put it on say 2 other computers.

I've looked at Napster, I-Tunes and also Wal-Mart and they each specify something slightly different in regards to moving and copying the music.

On some sites, when you have downloaded the song, you have to be on line when you first play it, so that they can download the license for it.

It's still a bit of a grey area, but if you click here, it will explain it in a bit more detail.

The above site is a U.S site, but I assume if you look at Napster/I-Tunes and Cokemusic (or whatever it's called), they will say much the same.

Dorsai 18:34 14 Jul 04

with the modern world.

They seem to make no provision for the fact that the stuff may be bought in one format(say a cd)but you might have bought it so you could listen to it on your I-Pod.

Then there is the fact that the disk might have been got for a jounger person, who has yet to learn the finer points of CD care. naturally you want to copy the £15 CD you got for your child, so that the mis-treatment only wrecks a £1.50p CDR, not the £15 original.

What about playing it in the car, where you have to worry about some toe-rag breaking in and nikking it(either the car or the CD)? Or if the car gets far too hot on a summer day (not this year perhaps) and it warps the disk?

CD's dont last for ever anyway, playing them seems to 'wear them out'. so buy a new cd, copy it, and play the copy. then when the copy stops working, re-copy it. The original CD has only been got out of it's box and played once.

But technically you are infringing copy-right in all the above cases, as you only bought the right to listen to the cd in it's original format, and not the right to copy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…