Pay as you go broadband - good or bad?

CurlyWhirly 22:15 30 Jul 04

I have read in various articles that BT are to launch a pay as you go broadband service charging around 5p a minute!
What do other forum members think about this?
I know it is aimed at people who only go on the internet occasionally but even so I think it should be a bit cheaper than 5p a minute like say 2p a minute as otherwise this works out at £3.00 an hour not including VAT!

If this catches on before long other ISP's will jump on the bandwagon and before we know it we will be severely restricted by our time online which defeats the purpose of upgrading to broadband!
I think it is better to have a monthly download limit in place for 'light' internet usage as this seems a lot fairer for example someone could spend a few hours a week WITHOUT worrying about the bill while not of course downloading too much on the P2P networks.
Any comments on whether this is good or bad for broadband generally?
CW

Smegs 00:58 31 Jul 04

Very deadly.

How many times have you said, "Just nipping on the Internet", next thing you know it's been 3-4 hours.

With the way the prices are coming down, it's worth it. £3 an hour, you may as well go for £17.99 a month and not worry about it.

Just my opinion. :-))

CurlyWhirly 01:06 31 Jul 04

Smegs

I agree with you if it is going to cost £3 an hour (not including VAT) you may as well go for a monthly flat rate like you said of £17.99 a month with no extra costs!
I hope this BT trial fails to catch on with the public!
I think it will but who knows?
CW

pj123 11:48 01 Aug 04

Personally, I wouldn't go for PAYG BB either. But if you want to you may find Metronet click here a better bet. Minimum £10 a month, maximum £20 per month depending on usage. Minimum 3 month contract (not 12). Obviously you don't get a free modem, filters or connection as you do from most other BB suppliers.

CurlyWhirly 17:01 01 Aug 04

Pj123

Yes Metronet isn't bad but like you said a major turn off is the start-up costs!
I personally wouldn't go on a pay-as-you-go broadband package as I use the internet too much I would say at least 2-3 hours a day.
I am currently paying £24.99 a month for a 512kb service with NO time or download restrictions.
So I know that I won't have any surprise telephone bills just a fixed monthly fee - just the way I like it!
CW

Sapins 17:27 01 Aug 04

Just cheered me up a bit :-)), I'm paying £24 a month for 1.2MB broadband, thought this was dear when I signed up for it.

Regards,

Sapins.

CurlyWhirly 17:35 01 Aug 04

Sapins

Glad I cheered you up mate!
I am on AOL Broadband Gold and now you have made me sad when you say that you are only paying £24 a month for a 1.2 Mb service - not that I could get a 1 Mb service anyway as I live on the threshold of being able to get the standard 512 kb service!

I have had BT do a line test but the signal loss is too much apparently - oh well not to worry!
How come you have a 1.2 Mb service?
I have never heard of this before - only 128kb, 256kb, 512kb, 1mb, 2mb and 4 mb?
CW

Sapins 17:48 01 Aug 04

Sorry I made you sad:-( Maybe they will increase the threshold, Gordon Brown has the power to do that, LOL. I am very lucky to live within range as they have only recently upgraded the exchange, there are large area's here that cannot get broadband at all.

I think the 1.2MB comes from 512x2=1024 rounded down to the nearest tenth. Typically French thinking, be logical and precise.

Regards,

Sapins.

pj123 17:56 01 Aug 04

I am on NTL cable BB at (hopefully) 750kb paying £24.99 a month. But I am connected all day every day. (part of my job).

CurlyWhirly 17:57 01 Aug 04

Sapins

I was only joking about being sad! lol
I am banking my hopes up as I read that BT's Milton Keynes trials are going well and they might look into ways to increase the 1mb service threshold meaning that I may be able ro upgrade after all!
I am keeping my eyes peeled for further news.
Regards,
CW

Sapins 18:11 01 Aug 04

I know how sad this is but I have a permanent connection 24/24 AND I have pages for the Helproom and Speakers corner permanently open as well. Anyone know of a smiley for such a situation?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…