Paving-- Definitely not a computer question.

spuds 12:45 29 Jun 08

If the forum editor allows, I have a worrying problem that requires expert advice. Knowing that we have various experts in our midst, here's hoping.

About 7 years ago we had a rather large area of ground paved with slabs. Usual sand and hardcore bedding was provided. Last year, we had constant problems of 'vegitation' growing between the slabs, removal was done by metal hook cutter (back breaking) and recommendation of strong sodium chlorate mix.

With the change in weather conditions, the vegetationvegetation problem as increased considerably. Its been suggested that cleaning out of the grooves plus a fine cement-sand mix, brushed into the grooves might resolve the problem for another 7 years. What do you think!.

WhiteTruckMan 13:04 29 Jun 08

but we have similar problems with our paved patio. However we dislike using chemicals, so our rather simplistic solution is vigilance and a once per week weeding, not letting anything get established. This may not be suitable for you either by temperament or total area to cover, but its what works for us. Good luck finding a solution.

WTM

peter99co 13:11 29 Jun 08

Do not allow anything (weeds) to go to seed in the area around and in the paving area. One year of seeds gives 7 years of weeds.

Pamy 13:21 29 Jun 08

Salt brushed in to the joints on a regular basis willkeep the wees at bay

Pamy 13:23 29 Jun 08

It may even keep the weeds at bay

bremner 13:24 29 Jun 08

That should solve my problem with the local cats - I will try it :o)

spuds 13:34 29 Jun 08

WTM-- Quite agree with you, thats what we did last year. But due to the area cover and 'not so young', its proving to be an impossible task this year, especially after all the wet warm dry weather changes recently.

peter99co-- To suppress the weeds we used various off the shelf products which didn't seem to work very well. On the recommendations of the local garden centre, sodium chlorate, or should that be chloride was used. This method came with various disappointing results, especially with various animals constantly around.

If there's no real solution,then it looks like a regular visit from a landscape gardener!.

spuds 13:38 29 Jun 08

Pamy-- Funny enough, thats been suggested, but we haven't tried it yet.

Bremner-- We have tried many thing as cat repellents. Nothing seems to work, except the garden sprinkler. Even the two dog's have given up :O)

WhiteTruckMan 13:39 29 Jun 08

because this is mainly 'stoop work', then how about a small flamethrower?

WTM

€dstowe 13:58 29 Jun 08

The spaces in my brick driveway are filled with the sand/cement mix as already suggested. It's applied as a dry mix (about 50/50) on a dry day, brushed well into the crevices and then lightly watered or wetted - don't flood it. Cover with tarpaulin if it looks like it will rain until the cement mix has set.

My drive has been weed free for over three years from this one treatment. There is now some grass just starting to encroach at the edges where the bricks meet the lawn.

jack 14:02 29 Jun 08

Has green stuff growing between the cracks

Quite pretty really.

From time to time when mowing the lawn, I nudge the cylinder another notch and mow the path.
That's the way to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac