Patron Saint of Computers

anchor 16:03 09 May 06

For those of us who feel that occasionally we need divine assistance, the Catholic church has provided us with a Patron Saint for computers, computer users, computer programmers, & the Internet.

He is St.Isidore of Seville, born c.560AD in Cartagena, Spain.

SANTOS7 16:07 09 May 06

click here
Not ST. Vidicon of Cathode then...

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:07 09 May 06

Glad to see that the Catholic church is forging ahead with it's usual alacrity and embracing the 21st century ............and I'll give a pound to the first person that spots the money making scam from this ;-)).

May one enquire as to her prefered make of computer?

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:14 09 May 06

Hells' Teeth! She is a he.

Rather dodgy name for a bloke methinks although he is wearing a rather charming, fashionably long, dress with matching, extended cloche hat setting off a rather fetching gold wrap a la renaissance style. click here.

G

anskyber 16:21 09 May 06

Saints preserve us, from any more stupidity. It seems that in doing so they have demonstrated their lack of connection with this world. But then I suppose that is their whole credo. Got a feeling I may have broken FEs rules here. Oops and sorry.

Dizzy Bob 18:15 09 May 06

Judging by the size of the manual he is reading in GANDALF <|:-)>'s link, he is new to this game.

Perhaps we should invite him to join the forum!

DB

wiz-king 18:20 09 May 06

"His long incumbency to this office was spent in a period of disintegration and transition." sounds like he was an the first test panel.

€dstowe 19:05 09 May 06

Why not St. Bill of Redmond?

keith-236134 19:12 09 May 06

From Seville, bet he would use Orange, why not someone from England, seeing that we were the first to build an electronic computer.

GaT7 19:20 09 May 06

"So, how does Saint Isidore of Seville become the patron saint for the Internet?

The Observation Service for Internet, who drew it's mission from the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, researched the Internet and related technologies to select a patron saint that best reflects the concerns and ideals of computer designers, programmers and users.

The saint chosen by the Observation Service for Internet was Saint Isidore. "The saint who wrote the well-known 'Etymologies' (a type of dictionary), gave his work a structure akin to that of the database. He began a system of thought known today as 'flashes;' it is very modern, notwithstanding the fact it was discovered in the sixth century. Saint Isidore accomplished his work with great coherence: it is complete and its features are complementary in themselves."

From GANDALF's link. G

Sethhaniel 10:41 10 May 06

put an infinit number of monkeys at an infinit number of computers for an infinit amount of time - these are the keys that they would press
I s i d o r e ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…