Patio heater to clear snow?

Graham* 30 Oct 11

If we get deep snow again this winter, would a patio heater be of any help? Many of my neighbours have one, mostly only used once, now standing glumly at the rear of the garage with a plastic hat on.

lotvic 30 Oct 11

I don't think melting the snow so it refreezes into solid sheets of ice would be helpful.

Terry Brown 30 Oct 11

If you are talking about using it inside the patio to stop it freezing, why not?.

If you are talking about using it to melt the snow once it has settled, if it is an electric one, you may have have a safety problem with the damp. "Out in the back of the garage with a plastic hat", it may not be safe to use without:-

(1) bringing it indoors for a few days to dry out'

(2) have it checked by a competant person for safety.

Terry

spuds 30 Oct 11

To expensive to run?.

They are only meant to take the chill away, not deal with a deep snowfall!.

badgery 30 Oct 11

Terry Brown "..about using it inside the patio "

I didn't think patios had 'insides'. To me a patio is an outdoor, normally slabbed, area.

Forum Editor 30 Oct 11

Using a gas-fired patio heater to clear snow from a patio strikes me as a particularly expensive and wasteful exercise.

What's wrong with a bit of salt/grit and a shovel?

badgery 30 Oct 11

It should also be remembered that 'heat rises' - and so any effects on a patio would surely be negligible.

Quickbeam 30 Oct 11

Bearing in mind that the heating umbrella is quite high from the ground, I think that maybe using a hair dryer whilst on your hands and knees will be more efficient...

Quickbeam 31 Oct 11
  wiz-king 31 Oct 11

Didn't work here!

gengiscant 31 Oct 11

Pretty rubbish dragon.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message