Patio heater to clear snow?

Graham* 15:46 PM 30 Oct 11

If we get deep snow again this winter, would a patio heater be of any help? Many of my neighbours have one, mostly only used once, now standing glumly at the rear of the garage with a plastic hat on.

lotvic 15:50 PM 30 Oct 11

I don't think melting the snow so it refreezes into solid sheets of ice would be helpful.

Terry Brown 15:54 PM 30 Oct 11

If you are talking about using it inside the patio to stop it freezing, why not?.

If you are talking about using it to melt the snow once it has settled, if it is an electric one, you may have have a safety problem with the damp. "Out in the back of the garage with a plastic hat", it may not be safe to use without:-

(1) bringing it indoors for a few days to dry out'

(2) have it checked by a competant person for safety.

Terry

spuds 16:05 PM 30 Oct 11

To expensive to run?.

They are only meant to take the chill away, not deal with a deep snowfall!.

badgery 16:25 PM 30 Oct 11

Terry Brown "..about using it inside the patio "

I didn't think patios had 'insides'. To me a patio is an outdoor, normally slabbed, area.

Forum Editor 17:17 PM 30 Oct 11

Using a gas-fired patio heater to clear snow from a patio strikes me as a particularly expensive and wasteful exercise.

What's wrong with a bit of salt/grit and a shovel?

badgery 17:37 PM 30 Oct 11

It should also be remembered that 'heat rises' - and so any effects on a patio would surely be negligible.

Quickbeam 18:24 PM 30 Oct 11

Bearing in mind that the heating umbrella is quite high from the ground, I think that maybe using a hair dryer whilst on your hands and knees will be more efficient...

Quickbeam 06:56 AM 31 Oct 11
  wiz-king 07:01 AM 31 Oct 11

Didn't work here!

gengiscant 09:15 AM 31 Oct 11

Pretty rubbish dragon.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites