Patience is a virtue

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 30 May 06

Can some one explain this:

Wireless Key board packed up halfway through a sentence last night (mouse still OK), changed batteries pressed buttons on both HID receiver and keyboard with in the 20 seconds as recommended, no good.

tried some more batteries that had just come out of the charger as before nothing. tried another set Duracell again nothing, removed batteries rebooted PC with PS2 keyboard.

Had another go with keyboard again later still would not work threw on bed in disgust (14 months old).

24 hrs. later decided to take keyboard apart, but first try again with same batteries as yesterday. Lo and behold its works, no idea why now and not yesterday.

Anyone any plausible or even far fetched theories why?

Or any simular stories of errant technology?

octal 18:37 30 May 06

IR wireless or radio wireless? If its the former, an incandescent lamp swamping the IR receiver with infrared. The latter, interference from an unknown source blocking the receiver.

Well you did say far fetched didn't you? :-)

Forum Editor 18:41 30 May 06

the universe is unfolding as it should.

Sometimes things like this happen - nobody knows why, and it's probably best not to think about it. No doubt aliens were involved somewhere along the line.

ade.h 18:52 30 May 06

Shhh! Please don't mention aliens... we don't want another 3 page debate about conspiracy theories! LOL.

FB - maybe the driver chrashed. That happens just occasionally with my Intellipoint mouse software, so it could maybe happen to the keyboard equivalent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 30 May 06

Radio wireless reciever works mouse as well that was not affected (why I thought it was batteries).

I think It may have been something to do with the Bermuda triangle --- that was fixed at 23:06 last night BBC1 (I didn't understand that either)

:0)

ade.h 19:00 30 May 06

Oh, that was simple. They were going to set off a giant electro-magnet, but didn't, and that... er.... yeah, I didn't understand it either. But hey, it was quite entertaining I guess!

rdave13 19:34 30 May 06

Think you've found a new species of these..click here .Called the keyboard grems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 30 May 06

Rdave13
"Dia-bolical sabo-tergy" (quote from Bugs Bunny gremlin cartoon 1943)

ade.h
"Electro magnets" that would certainly explain interference with wireless.

mole44 20:12 30 May 06

my theory goes thus all machine have superior inteligence,they only go wrong to show you who`s the boss,so you do not get above them.bit like cats realy

Mr Mistoffelees 21:10 30 May 06

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and trackball. Yesterday evening, following a restart, the trackball refused to work. I rebooted and it still refused, all the time the keyboard was fine. I tried reconnecting, tried my wireless mouse, nothing and the keyboard was still fine. Disconnected and reconnected the receiver, which was recognised on reconnection, but still no trackball. I then reinstalled the Itouch software and suddenly all was well.

PS, cats never go wrong, only humans go wrong and cats will never let themselves be seen to sink to our level. I'm sure that is how our ten year old George sees things!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:30 30 May 06

Didn't have to reinstall any drivers just put batteries in again for the tenth time and it worked.

Must have been a bad night for wireless keyboards (perhaps it was the machines Bank Holiday).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009